My First Mead Pressure Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msimpson99

Reaction score
I have been fermenting mead for a several years and wanted to dip my toes into pressure fermentation.
I used a Fermzilla AllRounder because it seemed like a very inexpensive way to get into pressure fermentation.
I chose one of my basic recipes and went the full route with yeast energizer and nutrients. I have to say it was a great success. If went completely dry in 6 days and is now in secondary under pressure as well.

Here is my writeup:
Mead Pressure Fermentation — My Slovenian Hive

I have my next batch started. I will be doing a write-up on this one as well. It's made from a gallon of scrap honey I pulled out of my hive last year. Its will be my first raw honey fermentation. It is only strained through a double sieve, 18 mesh upper and 25 mesh lower. The only heat involved is setting my beehouse heat to 85F to make the honey flow better when doing the extraction. In one day it fermented 1/3 of the way. I did have some issues though, but was able to overcome them.

Attachments

• Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3
  • Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 3
I decided to take a quick test of the 1-month-old mead so I pulled off enough to carbonate in a PET bottle.
_MG_4298.jpg

It is still slightly carbonated and tastes a little young. I will carbonate this one fully, but the mead needs at least another month.
_MG_4297.jpg

I wanted to cold crash the mead, so I racked it into smaller containers to fit into my mini beer fridge.
_MG_4335.jpg_MG_4335b.jpg

At day 44 the mead is really starting to clear and tastes fantastic. The glass if from the same mead in the pressurized keg. I will probably just continue to decant and drink the 2 gallons in the keg, then carbonate and bottle the other three gallons for later consumption.

_MG_4641.jpg
Sorry for the grainy picture, I will try and get some more light when I do the next update.

Latest posts

Back