My First IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neon0107

Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking for some feedback on my IPA. Looking at trying something a bit different after some reading on hops during boil. Looking at the bittering hop at 30 to provide more of a smooth bite than a heavier bite at 60 mins. Then all hops at whirlpool and dry hop for flavor and aroma. Also not sure if I should back off the honey a bit or maybe add a bit more and back off the Marris Otter? I live more of a malty profile.

Thanks

Attachments

• Brewfather_StoneCreekIPA5Gallon_20190602.pdf
    149.3 KB · Views: 26
Looks pretty solid to me.

If I were to critique, I would suggest two things:

#1 - 53 IBU seems low to me. My best IPAs have been between 65 and 75 with a 13 lb grain bill. I have been first-wort hopping which has been giving me good results. I might try some FWH on the magnum or maybe increase the boil time slightly.

#2 - My last three IPAs I dry hopped using 3oz, then 8oz, and I now I have one fermenting using 12oz. When I drank the first one, I was wishing for more aroma/dry hop character. The 8oz batch was great. Can't wait to try the 12oz one. I know some people will say that's too much for a 5-gallon batch but it I am loving it. I can't argue with results. I would suggest doubling your dry hop quantities.

Take this with a grain of salt. I love NEIPAs and the citrusy IPAs. I usually have a clean malt profile and let the hops take all the glory.

Thanks for the info. I like your idea of really upping the dry hop so will take a look at doing that. I might increase the amount of hops too instead of increasing the time just to see what kind of bitterness it brings.

Back