My first brew went amazing! All thanks to this forum!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andywhite1992

Reaction score
Evening guys,
So about 3 weeks ago I made my first attempt at homebrew, using the youngs brew buddy starter kit. I made soooooo many rookie mistakes. Such as not steralizing the bucket before starting and not actually using a thermometer when adding water to mix and yeast etc etc. In hindsight I am embarrassed how stupid I was! Anyhowwww

After 2 weeks in the bucket it siphoned it into a pressure barrel, added some sugar and left it alone for a week. Now I know that a week in the barrel is nowhere near enough time to drink but honestly I was just too impatient. I had to try it.
I was expecting a bland, vinegar tasting mess. I hadn't even added any co2 to the barrel so I expected a drizzle out of the tap.
But I was amazed when I turned the tap, after a few seconds it spurted to life and shot out the lovely golden foamy liquid!
And there it was, asif by magic, the brown gloom out of the can 3 weeks ago, had turned into a slightly cloudy beer looking drink with an enormous head.
In my excitement I grabbed the glass and ran upstairs to show my fiancee my ACTUAL REAL HOME MADE BEER!.
I then took my first sip and just let out that standard first sip sigh. It tasted amazing!
I will now let it sit for another week or 2 but I can honestly say this went amazing. For the first couple of weeks I was like a new parent, worried about every little thing. But thanks to reading some of the posts on here, I knew to just leave it in the corner to brew.

TLDR

I made my first beer as a complete amateur and ended up with 40 pints of 4.7% gorgeous tasting beer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_183548_470.jpg
    IMG_20200124_183548_470.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
Glad it went well. Goes to show you that even when things are messed up in the process, it usually works out...

I love these stories….
My first brew day I did everything wrong imaginable and made a great tasting beer.
It's all downhill from here..... :D:D

Have you been looking over my shoulder? Sounds just like what I did, a huge collection of errors and it was still drinkable.. Congratulations on your first brew! I'm preparing to carb my second beer, devoid of the huge list of errors from my first batch.

I like threads like this.
After wanting to figure out beer for years I finally did so, but only after the family life settled for a while. Once they got me the first kit it was over. Peering in the carboy, sniffing the airlock, and the agonizing wait. Then, acting like a two year-old busting for a pee, saying "looka dis, looka dis, looka dis" over and over with a frothy mug in hand.
I'm happy you're happy.
We're ALL happy for beer, especially when it turns out ok.

Back