My fermenter has a spigot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
Since my fermenter has a spigot (first bottling day tomorrow) can I just pour the priming sugar/solution into that?

I was thinking that using the spigot to fill the bottles would save me the trouble of trying to transfer and not pickup all the sediment that has fallen to the bottom (below the spigot).

But I’m not sure if part of the reason for the transfer is to get good mixture of the priming solution. I suppose I could transfer via the spigot instead of the siphon.

Since my fermenter has a spigot (first bottling day tomorrow) can I just pour the priming sugar/solution into that?

I was thinking that using the spigot to fill the bottles would save me the trouble of trying to transfer and not pickup all the sediment that has fallen to the bottom (below the spigot).

But I’m not sure if part of the reason for the transfer is to get good mixture of the priming solution. I suppose I could transfer via the spigot instead of the siphon.
I wouldn't put the priming sugar into the fermenter. You'd have to mix it in and you would end up bottling the trub too.

This reminds me of my LBK, (Mr Beer "Little Brown Keg"). With Mr Beer you put the priming sugar in each bottle.
You could drop one sugar cube, (or 1 1/2 cubes), into each bottle.

Use a couple of plastic bottles, (root beer bottles?), to keep track of carbonation. Squeeze the plastic bottles after a week or so. If there hard, you're carbed.

Have fun.

I wouldn't put the priming sugar into the fermenter. You'd have to mix it in and you would end up bottling the trub too.

This reminds me of my LBK, (Mr Beer "Little Brown Keg"). With Mr Beer you put the priming sugar in each bottle.
You could drop one sugar cube, (or 1 1/2 cubes), into each bottle.

Use a couple of plastic bottles, (root beer bottles?), to keep track of carbonation. Squeeze the plastic bottles after a week or so. If there hard, you're carbed.

Have fun.

I’ve read about the domino sugar cubes. I heard one cube per bottle. But do you just put the cube in and then the beer? No mixing of any sort?

If you're going to prime each bottle, you should still use a bottling wand attachment on your fermenting vessel's spigot. Without, you'll oxygenate the beer which affects the taste eventually.
There is discussion back and forth about using a bottling bucket and auto-siphon versus bottling directly from the primary.

save me the trouble of trying to transfer

"Trouble" is relative as siphoning into a bottling bucket with priming solution is easy and not time consuming. Some here say the solution doesn't mix thoroughly. Personally, I've never had an issue. Others say the same. There is washing an extra bucket which takes a short time.

I would try both methods if I were you to see which one you prefer.
A tip regarding batch priming: let the siphon hose run along the wall of the bottling bucket when transferring from the primary. This creates a rotation that will mix the priming solution well.
Table sugar and a funnel works well if you'll be bottle priming. Plus, I wouldn't shake the bottle; let the sugar dissolve on its own into the bottled beer.

I've got a fermenter with a spigot and I've done just what your suggesting with out issue. I have not had any trub in the fermenter that passed through TY he spigot. That is all I'd advise, don't let solids pass into the bottles. Also, be careful not to disturb the trub while stirring your priming solution.

Back