My Caramel Hard Cider Ver2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stilgar

Reaction score
Sitting here enjoying the last bottle of my cider experiment I started back in October. The first attempt was done with myself and the GF both making 1gallon using two different yeast. The experiment would have gone great if we had carbonated properly but as it happens we didn't mix well enough and sadly both batches were sacrificed. I said to hell with it grabbed some things from the LHBS and grocery across the street and made what not only surprised me in the end and gained some praise from the owner of said LHBS but it got my fathers approval which meant the world, especially when I can offer it as proof that I'm not brewing prison hooch as he once thought.

This is the recipe and summary of the brewing. I wanted to share for a few reasons, firstly to possibly get some tips if any can be offered as well as share something that can be brewed on the cheap. So enjoy and comments welcome. Plan on doing a full 5gal batch when I can get some cider and a free carboy, which should be when my caramel apple mead and DUNE cyser finish up. Enjoy!

Caramel Apple Hard Cider
1pckt Nottingham Ale yeast
2gal Lighthouse apple cider
Fermaid K
brown sugar
Dextrose sugar
Torina caramel sugar free syrup
10/10/12
Gravity off of the cider was 1.050, added 2 cups brown sugar bringing gravity up to 1.080. Rehydrated yeast per packet instructions, added yeast nutrient, pitched and moved to a warm comfortable spot to ferment for two weeks.

10/24/12
Cider fermented out nicely to 1.000, racked off of lees and split into two 1gal carboys. Left to sit undisturbed for 44 days.

12/7/12
Bottling day. Cider was very crisp with a strong upfront apple bite, not too dry. I debated how to get a good caramel flavor in this and decided the best method at the time was to use a sugar free non fermentable syrup. To figure out how much to add I took a 1cup sample of the cider and added 1tsp of syrup. I found the 1tsp had enough caramel character that the apple itself wasn't covered up, it wasn't overpowering or sweet. It gave a nice scent atop the apple and added a real nice background flavor that lingered after each taste. So for 1gal some lucky person not myself got to measure out roughly 15 teaspoons( 16 cups of cider, 1 teaspoon per cup minus the 1 cup sample god I hate math). Racked the cider to a brewing bucket and stirred in the caramel syrup, reserving the original cup used to test syrup. Using the saved 1cup of cider it was heated up and 1/3rd cup priming sugar added and dissolved. Once cooled this was added to the cider and carefully mixed then bottled.

12/22/12
Checked carbonation. Nice loud POP, no bottle bombs, no cider volcano. Happy with the results I put that bottle in the fridge for an official tasting. The nottingham was a great choice, it gave the cider a good mouth feel, nice body and crystal clear. Perfect carbonation, the head retained well before creating a perfect ring of bubbles around the glass that lingered through the whole glass. The caramel though not at the forefront was a very nice hint your nose catches right off the bat but is nowhere to be found initially until after each sip. My GF added 1tsp more of syrup to her glass before pouring and found it added a bit more of the flavor but still not enough to render it "sweet". Everyone seemed to prefer it straight from the bottle. We were lucky to have a 'white' christmas this year once again in Washington so the bottles were moved outside and given their own comfy hole in the snow to cold crash in. Was glad to serve this on christmas day, thankfully the stuff hits you like a freight train otherwise more bottles would have vanished.

3/9/13
Last bottle of the 2gal batch and I wish I had managed to save/brew more of this stuff. It definitely improved with age. The caramel flavor hasn't really faded. The crispness is a bit mellow now. Still catch whiffs of the caramel. Very much enjoyed and a small service will be held when the last sip is taken.

You might consider looking at this thread, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/caramel-apple-mead-68519/, as it uses 60L crystal malt which is steeped in part of the apple juice and imparts the classic caramel flavor.

When carbing, think about filling at least 2 PET bottles which are thr same volume as your bottled cider and the PET bottles will serve as a control. When the PET bottle is firm then you could then open to check carb level. If it is at appropriate level then refrigerate your bottled cider, or better yet bottle pasteurize.

The only other thing is you really made caramel apple wine since your ACV is greater than 7%. Had you left it at 1.050 instead of bumping up to 1.080 you would have been right on for just under 7%. But good job regardless!!

You might consider looking at this thread, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/caramel-apple-mead-68519/, as it uses 60L crystal malt which is steeped in part of the apple juice and imparts the classic caramel flavor.

When carbing, think about filling at least 2 PET bottles which are thr same volume as your bottled cider and the PET bottles will serve as a control. When the PET bottle is firm then you could then open to check carb level. If it is at appropriate level then refrigerate your bottled cider, or better yet bottle pasteurize.

The only other thing is you really made caramel apple wine since your ACV is greater than 7%. Had you left it at 1.050 instead of bumping up to 1.080 you would have been right on for just under 7%. But good job regardless!!

Thank you for the feedback! It's kind of funny actually because the linked recipe you gave I started not long ago and will be transferring for aging on the 25th. Have wanted to try that out for a while now.

Originally I'd planned on using a caramel syrup to add during bottling but I was too unsure at the time and thought it might (if not handled right) make a bottle bomb, was just noob tension honestly as this was sort of bringing me back into brewing after having stopped long long ago. And at the time I didn't think about it but yeah this would fall more under the carbed apple wine, I just remember not wanting this to be dry which cider's are for the most part. But yeah still came out as desired if not a bit more so, Ootini!

As a side note I was really curious to try the crystal malt, it was just hard to find here at that time. I could be wrong as my thinkins aren't with me tonight but if I recall the crystal malt 60l is what imparts the strong caramel and our LHBS at the time carried 120l which I believe still offers some sweetness but different profile.

Starting to turn my attention toward braggots now while I wait for more cider to come my way.

Latest posts

Back