My beer ghosted me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgatovolador

Reaction score
Last night I tried to pour a pint of my Imperial IPA out of the keg and to my surprise nothing came out, not even CO2. This was my first kegged beer so naturally I was heartbroken.

However, I noticed something odd. I’m almost sure last time I poured beer I still had a few more beers left.

When nothing came out of the keg, I checked the CO2 and to my surprise it was empty. I’m still learning the draft system ins and outs but...if your keg taps out it shouldn’t cause your CO2 to leak out am I right? I’m assuming that I must have a leak somewhere...however I’m afraid that some beer might have gone into the CO2 tank for some reason as I am almost 100% sure I still had beer in the keg.

I’m going to check the regulator to see if there’s any beer inside of it but I won’t be able to until next week unfortunately...

As far as I know, most manifolds have check valves, so fluid cannot go into the tank, and yes you need to check for leaks, or you have a little mouse that’s drinking your brew. o_O

My first regulator had no check valves. I tapped into a hot keg and flooded the thing with beer. Didn't ruin it, but it made a mess. Beer did not go in the tank, btw.

co2 leaks are the bane of every homebrewer who kegs. My last one was due to a post that had loosened up somehow. You can get new o-ring kits for cheap at most LHBS, and online, and are a good investment to have a few lying around. That's the usual suspect, but check your posts as well. Have a spray bottle handy (I use starsan in mine, comes in handy to sanitize bottles as well; it will make bubbles when in contact with co2) the next time you hook up. Spray copiously on the posts, lid, everywhere co2 might escape. Some here say it's not necessary, but I find that a hefty application of keg lube helps as well (can use vaseline in a pinch), especially on the big o-ring under the lid.

Did you have the co2 on the right post? i know it will look like its hooked up sometimes but not push the post all the way down. also make sure the beer is not too high up in the keg. if you don't have enough head space it will never carb up. also another problem i ran into...

And you do have a leak.

Either that or you amazingly ran out of beer and gas at the same time right after having the last couple beers that you subsequently forgot.

I do closed transfers so I’m thinking that I didn’t properly tightened the gas quick disconnect connection. I’m thinking of using Teflon tape to prevent this issue besides tightening the crap out of it to not run into this again.

What are the chances that with an empty keg you could loose gas from the faucet end?

I do closed transfers so I’m thinking that I didn’t properly tightened the gas quick disconnect connection. I’m thinking of using Teflon tape to prevent this issue besides tightening the crap out of it to not run into this again.

What are the chances that with an empty keg you could loose gas from the faucet end?

If you are losing gas on the faucet end you are going to lose beer as well so i doubt it.

Back