"Must Have" Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathani

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just getting started in the all grain world. I've done 5 batches so far. It's going really well. My problem is I live 5 hours drive from the nearest decent homebrew store that sells hops. I acquired a vacuum sealer so I'm looking to stock up on about 5 varieties of hops. Thought I would buy a pound of each. Can I get some recommendations? I already have a good amount of EKG and I think I want to buy some Hallertau for sure since it comes up quite a bit in the recipes I brew. I'm been advised to buy some tettnang from a friend as well. What do you think?

Cascade. Cascade also combines well with EKG in my experience. Made some beers recently where I used both for flavor/aroma with EKG at twice the level of Cascades and they combined well.

You could also get a half pound of each and get 10 varieties.

;-)

It really depends on what you make most. I make mostly American IPAs, ambers, and pale ales. I also make California common quite a bit. So, my freezer has pounds of northern brewer, cascade, centennial, amarillo, and for fun, some willamette (just because it was about $7.25/pound). I have magnum because I use it quite a bit for bittering hops.

If I made English beers, I'd have East Kent goldings, and/or fuggles. If I did German beers, I'd have noble hops. For pilsners, I'd stock up on saaz.

Think about the beers you like, and what you most often make, and buy the hops that you use most.

A good "neutral" bittering hop would be a good choice, too, because you could use it in nearly every beer for bittering. A variety like galena could work for many beer styles.

Depends on what you brew. I've been tending toward English and German wheat styles, so any of the American three C's, or the CTZ hops dont really get used much.

If you are like me, you could get away with EKG and Hallertauer. Throw in some Fuggles, Saaz, Tradition and Willamette for a change of pace.

Cascades and Centennials but my freezer is the LHBS up the street from me. I guess it helps to know the owner and help him out almost every weekend.

Thanks for all the suggestions hombrewers!

My preference is to brew English and German Ales. I really like a good stout. I also have an affinity for wheat beers. But right now I'm just brewing like crazy trying to get a feel for the different styles, so nothing is out of the question. My 5 first batches were in order Kolsch, Irish Red Ale, Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout, Vienna Lager.

Right now these look good to me
EKG (Have a lb and can get them cheap from local brew pub as they are seriously overstocked with these)
Cascade
Hallertau
Tettnang

I'm thinking about getting these, but I can't decide
Willamette
Saaz
Galena

Still taking suggestions!

On a side note, I'm also growing my own hops this year. So I'm going to plant 5 or 6 varieties as well (these 6 if I like them all well enough after trying them out).

I'd consider a dual use hop with higher alphas if I were you. Columbus is a great one. Northdown is not super high in Alphas (around 8%), but if you're making Brit beers it goes great in those. Perle's a good dual use for your German beers. Just depends on what you need for those styles you wanna make.

I'm on board with that. I chose Galena for bittering, but a dual purpose hop would be better I suppose. Columbus or Perle both sound good. Leaning towards Columbus.

I always have at least some sort of American hop, a noble continental hop and Willamette.

I love me some Willamette in a brown ale.

ok, so I've got my EKG and I'll order 1lb bags of the following:

Cascade
Columbus
Hallertau
Tettnanger
Willamette

I think that should do me for most of my hopping needs. I'm at the homebrew store every so often, so I can pick up any specialty needs.

If you want to make American ales, Cascades and Centennial are both must haves. I like CTZ (Columbus if you're shopping from hopsdirect) and/or Galena for bittering. Amarillo is awesome for aroma, but Cascade and Centennial are much more versatile IMO.

Your list looks good, i was going to suggest Centennial as a bittering hop, as it has a good flavor that many compare to cascade. I can see why the comparison is made, but I think Centennial has its own flavor.

I was also going to suggest Hallertau or Tett if your into Hefe's or Wits.

With the EKG and the rest I think you got a wide range of styles covered. I tend to watch for bittering hops to go on sale.

Awesome. This thread was really helpful for me. I've submitted my order with hopsdirect. Hopefully it's not trapped in shipping too long as I live in Canada. The local brew pub has lots of EKG as I said, and they also seem to use a lot of Perle, so getting a few ounces here and there isn't a problem. Anything I didn't order in bulk I'll make sure to pick up at the "Local" HBS. Looking forward to purchasing my rhizomes too, but that's a long term investment so I'm going to make sure I'm getting what I want and that those varieties will do well in my climate.

So a big thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions!!

no need to stock up.....just order from a trusted online retailer! Buy one or two types at a time and find what you prefer then stock up on that kind.

I would if there was a decent Canadian online vendor, but there isn't. Nearest HBS is 5 hours drive and they don't ship (also hops are 2.50$/ oz). Every time I get something shipped across the boarder I get hefty duty and brokerage charges; it turns out to be more of a headache than it's worth. I can handle the odd large shipment, but I am not in the position to order for a few recipes at a time. I need to be more or less self sufficient for months at a time. Hopsdirect gives me ~12$/lb, that's like 5oz equivalent. I'm relying on this forum to give me some good versatile hops. On my biannual trips to the HBS I will get a few OZ of the hops that I am missing in my stockpile and try them out. Next restocking I will switch any I am unhappy with to some that I liked from my samples.

I'm currently brewing about 6-12 gallons a week to feed my thirsty friends and neighbors.

I would if there was a decent Canadian online vendor, but there isn't. Nearest HBS is 5 hours drive and they don't ship (also hops are 2.50$/ oz). Every time I get something shipped across the boarder I get hefty duty and brokerage charges; it turns out to be more of a headache than it's worth. I can handle the odd large shipment, but I am not in the position to order for a few recipes at a time. I need to be more or less self sufficient for months at a time. Hopsdirect gives me ~12$/lb, that's like 5oz equivalent. I'm relying on this forum to give me some good versatile hops. On my biannual trips to the HBS I will get a few OZ of the hops that I am missing in my stockpile and try them out. Next restocking I will switch any I am unhappy with to some that I liked from my samples.

I'm currently brewing about 6-12 gallons a week to feed my thirsty friends and neighbors.

ahhh did not notice the BC under your username. Start researching growing hops for the summer time. :)

Already got the basics learned and a spot picked. Also live a half hour drive from the only canadian retailer of hop rhizomes, a lucky bonus. If only they would sell me actual hops too!!!

Another lucky bonus is I live a half hour drive from the only independent malter in BC. I'm in prime brewing country, just need a freaking decent HBS to move into town and I'm set. We have HBSs, quite a few, but they all deal in kits and extract.

Back