Adding sugar post boil to double ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geobotsar

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Brewed what was supposed to be a double ipa about 4 hours ago.
Unfortunately i miscalculated the boil off rate and ended with more volume and less OG. I was targeting 1.073 and ended with 1.062.
I was thinking to add 400 grams of table sugar after high crausen to bump up my og, maybe go around 1.066 which will give aproximetaly an abv of 7.4 rather than 6.7, getting close to style guidelines. My question is, how much would this change the flavor profile? I used 8kg pale malt, 400 grams munich and 200 grams of crystal, for 25l batch, but ended with 29liters
Thanks for your help

It will dry it out a bit, perhaps a little too much. 1.062 is fine for an IPA though, so you could consider simply calling it an IPA if you are concerned with keeping to style guidelines.

i like the taste of super dry IPAs so i would add it personally. boil it in a bit of water, cool then dump it on top.

Thanks guys, i had a lot of hop additions, so i thought it might be a bit bold for an ipa, but i wouldn't want it to get very dry, so maybe it would be best if i left it as is. Out of curiosity, adding table sugar means that it would drop the final gravity lower, thas making the beer more dry?

Latest posts

Back