Multi-rest mash for cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haulinoats

Reaction score
I am having trouble wrapping my head around multi-rest mash schedules when using adjuncts.

I know that malted barley and flaked adjuncts do not need a cereal mash. I know that an acid rest is usually not necessary for pH purposes but might help in brews with high amounts of adjuncts (beta-glucanase activity). I know that under-modified malts or well-modified malts with high adjunct percentages need a protein rest (to help with head retention and body). And I know that using such a protein rest on fully-modified malts might create a thin, watery beer. But what happens when you make a recipe that combines all of these types of ingredients?

I am making a cream ale:
6lb american 6-row
2lb american 2-row
4oz crystal 10
2lb flaked corn
1lb flaked oats

I figure the 6-row will help increase extraction efficiency and help offset the lower protein levels in the corn. The flaked corn will add a sweet flavor, and the flaked oats will help with creaminess and head retention.

But how do I create a mash schedule to accommodate everything? I want a nice balance in my flavors and mouthfeel.

I was thinking the following:
"Acid rest" (98-113F) for 20 min (to break down the gums from the adjuncts)
SKIP the typical protein rest (for fear of creating a beer too thin and watery? or will the high protein content from the oats compensate?)
Use a normal rest for starch conversion at the higher end of the temperature spectrum to create a fuller, more dextrinous beer (to offset the drying nature of corn. or should I worry more about maximizing extraction and go with a lower temperature?)

I'd love to hear your thoughts/criticisms! Thanks!

Given the high percentage of 6-row, I would recommend a protein rest in the 125-130* range for 10-15 minutes. This should improve clarity. A protein rest with your grain bill should not produce a thin beer.

Regarding sacc temp, perhaps consider a 20 minute rest at both 146-148 and 154-156. Best of both worlds for beta & alpha

Thanks!

How successful/manageable would a double sach rest be if I do infusion mashes in my picnic cooler? It might be difficult to accommodate that much water if I have a protein rest, 2 sach rests and a MO.

You really don't need any rest with that grain bill. You have less than 20℅ flaked and the 6-row doesn't need anything.

I'd ditch the crystal too. Cream ale should not be sweet.

I thought I would add a little sweetness because I plan to add cold brewed coffee to half the batch and wanted to balance out its bitterness/acidity

Back