Mrmalty - Flash Free Version?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanonen80

Reaction score
Is there a Flash Free Version of mrmalty out there? Since Flash is being phased out soon - has it been future-proofed?

I thought at one point the Flash version had a link to a Flash-free version, but I can't seem to find it now (or perhaps it never existed...)

Thanks!

MrMalty is pretty old and many feel it is far too conservative on estimates - suggests way higher cell counts than necessary.
I mostly use BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator.

But... Mr. Malty's "pitch from slurry" tab is found nowhere else. The estimates of cell count in trubby slurries is very handy.

I don't think Mr. Malty is any more conservative than BrewUnited or Yeast Calc. The latter 2 give identical results. Haven't seen any major deviations between those and Mr. Malty, either.

I second @IslandLizard on homebrewdad's calc, which also has an Excel downloadable version which you can then add in things like slurry and such
Capture.17.JPG

I mostly use BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator.

But... Mr. Malty's "pitch from slurry" tab is found nowhere else. The estimates of cell count in trubby slurries is very handy.

I don't think Mr. Malty is any more conservative than BrewUnited or Yeast Calc. The latter 2 give identical results. Haven't seen any major deviations between those and Mr. Malty, either.

I haven't seen this elsewhere either. Wonder if anyone will add to a non flash program. I don't have the knowledge to add it to any program or spreadsheet unless someone else gives the formulas.

Hm. Link is indeed dead. Maybe shoot him an email? I cannot load here, only pictures are allowed.

Hm. Link is indeed dead. Maybe shoot him an email? I cannot load here, only pictures are allowed.
If you're using Chrome, Flash may be blocked. You should see a little icon on the right side in the URL bar, informing you of this.
Click on that icon to change your settings, to allow Flash. Set to "ask first". Then proceed. Works here, YMMV.

The flip side is that setting may not be permanent: "Your Flash settings will be kept until you quit Chrome." Haven't tested that yet, but seems to be the case, since I had to manually re-allow it.

My chrome says flash is allowed but I still get the apache permission error
View attachment 663807
That's not MrMalty giving you an error, you're trying to download Brewunited's downloadable (Excel) calculator.
BTW, I get the same error for that link. It's probably a bad or outdated link.

Just use the online version. ;)

I mostly use the online version of BrewUnited's yeast calc, The interface is very clean, while it feels a bit simpler to input entry fields.

The only thing you need to keep an eye on is any automatic field updates it does based on values in other fields. That could lead to errors if you're not aware of those changes. For example, I have to keep resetting my starter volume to 1.6 or 1.8 liter each time I tab to or change another field. That's a bit annoying.

The Excel sheet doesn't do that, is more straightforward. Just not very clean looking, which can lead to oversights and introduce errors too.

Thanks. I had tried uploading ZIP before and was unable. COme to think of it tho, I just renamed something to zip and it threw "file type not recognized" and I walked away from trying.

Anyway, I like the spreadsheet as I added slurry calc, but I don't really use that anymore. The nice thing about having the sheet is the ability to tune those auto-changing fields to your own system & usage.

Ah, I see.

Attached is "Homebrew Dad's Yeast Calculator v1.1.xlsx" I downloaded in 2017.
It's zipped, since we can't attach Excel files here.

Thanks. This is awesome. I agree, the online version works really well and is well designed, but I've been trying to perfect a spreadsheet of my own that is a one stop shop for all of my brew needs (Recipe, brew steps, brewhouse eff., etc.). I designed it with only myself in mind so it's a little rough around the edges right now, but I'll share it after I incorporate the yeast calculator. Some elements I made myself and others I've lifted from other sources (i.e. like I'm about to do with this yeast calculator).

Latest posts

Back