Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Preheated water to 168F, so I thought. Turned off burner and started to dump in the grains...I just happened to look at the thermometer and it was about 171-172F. I quickly started stirring and then I put in 3 frozen water bottles and about 20 mins later I got the temp down to 150F....Now what? Just go with it and hope it turns out? Off flavors? Tannins released?

There's a good chance that you'd already locked in a very dextrinous wort by the time you got the temps down. What was the post boil gravity and what were you expecting? Also, how'd the OG of the finished boil come out? I would think of it as an interesting experiment at this time, but that doesn't mean it won't taste good!

think you're good as long as pH was in tolerance

that's the SCIENCE! behind doing decoctions, so you should be OK

Too early to tell my bag is still in the pot and OG is 1.036

Gotcha. You'll be ok. It may not end up being as fermentable a wort as you were looking for, but it's not ruined. If you don't mind following up on this thread I'll be curious about your PB gravity and OG...I'll check in a bit later. GL! Brewing on a monday...good stuff!

I would doubt you would end up with off flavors. I mash out my wort at 170 with all the grain in the bag. Mash PH will be the key.

As an FYI, I have had my mash temps get high before and have thrown my imersion chiller in to bring the temps down fast. The cold water bottles obviously worked too, but just another option to consider.

I would say that if you started getting the temperatures down right away any effect of the hot start will be minimal. The higher temperature may make the beer a bit sweeter than intended.

Just a thought, you could go for an "imperial wit" which isn't really a style, but our brewclub had a contest on this imaginary category that yielded 14 entries ;-)- and add some sugar at the end. It will dry it out a bit and give the yeast some more fermentable simple sugars to work with. In fact, you have likely mashed such that your FG will be higher then you expected, so the ABV effect of adding sugar will be muted. If you use beersmith (or whatever software) plug in 4oz of corn sugar and see what it says...also change your mash profile to something that says "full body" so the software will more accurately caclulate your expected FG/ABV.

Back