Bulk age in corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
Hey guys, here's my question. I have 4 sours going all around the 6-8 month range and all are still on the yeast cake. I want to transfer them off the cake and pitch something new onto the cakes. Can I bulk age these in cornys, I have like 12 cornys and only 4 sour fermentors. Do I need to purge them every so often or just let em ride out till it's time to carb?

You can certainly bulk age in corny kegs. Good idea to vent them every few weeks until you get a feel for how much pressure is building up. Kegs are more difficult to re-sanitize than carboys once the microbes get into the nooks and crannies, I have a couple that are designated sour (for serving).

You can certainly bulk age in corny kegs. Good idea to vent them every few weeks until you get a feel for how much pressure is building up. Kegs are more difficult to re-sanitize than carboys once the microbes get into the nooks and crannies, I have a couple that are designated sour (for serving).

I have seen this asserted, kegs harder to clean, but I'm wondering what the practical result is... Next beer goes sour or has Brett flavors?

I've only seen that Devil yeast thread, but it seems hard to beleive that a good keg wash with pbw, and hot water and sanitizer on all parts won't clean it up.

Any one else seeing trouble or just being precautious?

I bulk age beer in cornies, anytime I go from sour to reg beer I just give it a good soak in pbw, hot rinse & then starsan like normal but I also switch out the rubber gaskets for sours. I've never had an issue yet. I also use a long tube brush to clean my dip tube.

Back