can i clean my keg with star-san?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
Can i clean my keg with starsan, or do i have to buy a keg cleaning kit? I just bought a new one. If it does need a kit, Does it need to be cleaned with it or can o star-san the first batch?

Starsan is a no rinse sanitiser.
You need a cleaner like PBW or Oxyclean to clean it and then sanitise with Starsan.

Starsan is a no rinse sanitiser.
You need a cleaner like PBW or Oxyclean to clean it and then sanitise with Starsan.

I have oxyclean. Never thought that would work. Will i need to use it on a new keg or can i sanitize and "do-it-to-it"?

You can clean with anything you would clean a dish with. If you just had a stout in there for a year, PBW and a brush is the way to go. If you have a new clean keg, I'd clean with soap and sanitize with starsan, then fill the sucker.

Be sure you are using the unscented Oxyclean.

I use the scented oxyclean from costco with great results. Been using this for years. Unscented would be preferential, but scented works just as well.

Back