Who has experience with Wyeast 1945 Neobritannia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
This is my first batch with liquid yeast. I am brewing an EPA from Northern Brewer and their proprietary yeast. After a day and a half it appears fermentation is slowing down dramatically? I know that the air lock is not a reliable source but this hasnt happened with other batches, it is also too early to take a gravity reading. OG was 1.052 and temps have been sustaining 66-68 degrees. Is this a fast fermenting yeast? Or is this normal for liquid yeast as I have only used dry yeast in the past?

Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean that the gravity isn't dropping. My last batch dropped from 1.030 to 1.004 without a single bubble.

Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean that the gravity isn't dropping. My last batch dropped from 1.030 to 1.004 without a single bubble.

I knew somebody would say this, hense why I mentioned that in my OP. When an airlock goes from a rapid bubble to no activity something has slowed down. I never mentioned anything about fermentation stopping completely. I'm just wondering what experiences people have had with this yeast strain.

All it means is that the yeast aren't producing CO2 at the same rate. Doesn't mean that the fermentation has slowed down

Well, I don't have any experience, but I'd be interested to find out. Always looking for new British yeasts. Let us know what it tastes like!

In my experience british yeasts are very fast compared to american and belgian yeasts. I did a stout at 1.056 with Wyeast Irish Ale that went down to 1.012 in less than 48 hours. I kegged and served that beer in a week, which included a 2 day post fermentation rest and 2 day cold crash. I would say not to worry, and if you want to worry take a gravity reading first.

This is my first batch with liquid yeast. I am brewing an EPA from Northern Brewer and their proprietary yeast. After a day and a half it appears fermentation is slowing down dramatically? I know that the air lock is not a reliable source but this hasnt happened with other batches, it is also too early to take a gravity reading. OG was 1.052 and temps have been sustaining 66-68 degrees. Is this a fast fermenting yeast? Or is this normal for liquid yeast as I have only used dry yeast in the past?

First time I used 1945 was for NBs Oatmeal Stout. Following is from my notes beginning to end of the fermentation.
Pitched 1.040 SG, 1.5 liter starter, decanted; wort at 56° in glass carboy. 5 gallon batch. + 6 hours at 60° slight airlock activity. Day 2 1 bubble/second at 64°. Added water to tub with wet towel cover over carboy and fan. Day 3 1 bubble/sec at 66°. + 12 hours temp 64°, 1 bubble/4 sec drained water and dry towel, no fan. Day 4 68° 1/10 second. Day 5 68° 1/10 second. Day 6 68° 1/15 second. Day 7 66° very minimal airlock activity; SG 1.016. Day 28 66° FG 1.016. Bottled.

I've just done my first batch using this yeast, an English bitter, the kit was from MidWest, but I ordered an Oatmeal Stout kit from NB and used the 1945 in the bitter instead of Midwest's Muntons packet.

Brewed this one on Saturday, 4.5 gallons went into the fermenter at 1.046 at 68F. I just pitched the smack pack, no starter as I really can't be faffed and this was a reasonably low gravity brew anyway. Aerated the hell out of the wort with a whisk.

Stuck it in my beer kitchen it started fermenting within twelve hours. Since it began fermenting it's sat at about 72F internal temperature which is fine with me, I do not fear the esters!

It hit 1.034 on Sunday, 1.022 on Monday and had a lovely krausen which I dutifully top cropped and have saved for later. Tuesday it was at 1.006 with another thick krausen, again dutifully scooped and saved.

Still at 1.006 this evening (Wednesday), so after a quick taste test I'm calling it done and have started to cold crash it. No diacetyl that I can pick up so no need for a D-rest, it's pretty much had one already with my fermentation temperature after all. Provided it has dropped clear I'll bottle it on Friday.

Quick schedule, but I'm running with this thread which for my money (and beer) is more or less dead on for fresher British style brews.

I kegged this beer a couple nights ago. The yeast was awesome. The beer was at FG after one week. After 10 days I racked to secondary because the krausen never dropped and I wanted it to clear. I had a thick krausen the whole time in primary. AFter about 18 days I racked to my keg and it's carbing up now. I have no complaints with the yeast except the lack of flocculation. Past experiences the krausen has always dropped within 7 days.

Mine was flocculated pretty well under the krausen, but I think the nature of this yeast is to keep re-forming krausen. I skimmed it three times, and even after I was expecting it to be more or less done after yesterday there was still another reasonable top crop this evening.

Once I skimmed the krausen off though, the beer underneath was already pretty clear. I could see that it was starting to flocculate yesterday, the lumps were floating around under the krausen, today it looked like a lot of them had dropped out, but krausen had still re-formed.

I was going to buy another pack but I've got so much top-cropped stuff saved now that I'll get something else instead.

Mine was flocculated pretty well under the krausen, but I think the nature of this yeast is to keep re-forming krausen. I skimmed it three times, and even after I was expecting it to be more or less done after yesterday there was still another reasonable top crop this evening.

Once I skimmed the krausen off though, the beer underneath was already pretty clear. I could see that it was starting to flocculate yesterday, the lumps were floating around under the krausen, today it looked like a lot of them had dropped out, but krausen had still re-formed.

I was going to buy another pack but I've got so much top-cropped stuff saved now that I'll get something else instead.

So I guess a lot of krausen is normal for this yeast strain since it happened to you also.

I had a fast fermentation with mine as well but it took almost 2 weeks and some swirling to get the krausen down. i made the same bitter and it tastes great! happy drinking

I kegged this beer a couple nights ago. The yeast was awesome. The beer was at FG after one week. After 10 days I racked to secondary because the krausen never dropped and I wanted it to clear. I had a thick krausen the whole time in primary. AFter about 18 days I racked to my keg and it's carbing up now. I have no complaints with the yeast except the lack of flocculation. Past experiences the krausen has always dropped within 7 days.
Flocculation is yeast sticking together. The krausen, if I remember correctly from the yeast book, is flocculation.

Flocculation is yeast sticking together. The krausen, if I remember correctly from the yeast book, is flocculation.

That's how I interpret it as well, and that's why I said this yeast strain sucks at flocculating :D

I brewed up an Oatmeal Stout (NB kit) today, 5.25gal at 1.038 into the fermenter and I re-pitched about 50mL of top cropped 1945.

It had packed down pretty well in the tupperware, so I stirred it up and added a few pinches of table sugar. After around an hour at room temp, it seemed like it was waking up, so into the stout it went.

Reviving an old thread here but any new experiences with wyeast 1945?

I am making the NB barleywine with this yeast. OG 1.082

I had some leftover lme and made a 4 Liter 1.040 starter for it. Should I expect a gigantic blowoff with that large of a starter? And does anyone have a temp recommendation?

Latest posts

Back