Goofed: didn't know WLP006 was seasonal. Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
I'm making the Wells Bombardier clone from Can You Brew It, and of course my LHBS didn't have WLP006 because it's seasonal and April's nowhere near the availability window (July-August/Sep). :smack:

I grabbed a packet of S-04 so I have something to use, but since WLP006 has a specific ester profile that the recipe needs, I know the clone effort won't be all it might have been. I do have the Lyle's Golden syrup, so that's at least something distinctive.

S-04 has its own esters, of course, but what would everyone recommend as a substitute? I can make another trip to the shop tomorrow before brewing, so I'd love to hear favorites/opinions.

-Rich

I'm making the Wells Bombardier clone from Can You Brew It, and of course my LHBS didn't have WLP006 because it's seasonal and April's nowhere near the availability window (July-August/Sep). :smack:

I grabbed a packet of S-04 so I have something to use, but since WLP006 has a specific ester profile that the recipe needs, I know the clone effort won't be all it might have been. I do have the Lyle's Golden syrup, so that's at least something distinctive.

S-04 has its own esters, of course, but what would everyone recommend as a substitute? I can make another trip to the shop tomorrow before brewing, so I'd love to hear favorites/opinions.

-Rich

S-04 or Nottingham would be OK. You don't have time to do a starter for liquid yeast anyways, unless you pitch the next day.

S-04 or Nottingham would be OK. You don't have time to do a starter for liquid yeast anyways, unless you pitch the next day.

Thanks for the S-04 vote of confidence. It does make me wonder whether I've got a spare envelope of Notty around... :)

I've got a stir plate, so I've done the occasional single-day starter and had it go completely crazy. But that's right, I'd need the vial tonight, and I won't have time to hit the LHBS again until tomorrow morning, so I guess S-04 it is!

-Rich

Just for future reference, s-04 will not give you nearly the same character as wlp006, closest substitution I have found is wy1335. If you had to go with dry yeast, Notty would be my preference for a Wells beer, so long as you can keep the temps low (60-64F).

Just for future reference, s-04 will not give you nearly the same character as wlp006, closest substitution I have found is wy1335. If you had to go with dry yeast, Notty would be my preference for a Wells beer, so long as you can keep the temps low (60-64F).

Thanks! Yeah, the Wells character is just going to be missing in this one, I think. I don't have a Wyeast supplier here, or I'd look into the 1335.

I am a big fan of Notty, but I haven't made many ESBs with it (or at all), just porters, reds and browns. Hmm, I really do need to see if I have a packet around.

-Rich

Just to echo the above comments, Bedford is one of those yeasts that don't have a close substitute. It's a very good candidate for culturing to keep alive during the nine months of the year where it is difficult to obtain.

It will be back in July/August.

out of curiosity, how is yeast seasonal? It's not like it grows outside?

It's only sold during two months out of the year, as is the case with all Platinum Strains from White Labs.

I deal with this with WLP037 (Yorkshire square ale). I love this yeast (makes a superb brown ale), but November/December is their schedule for it. I may have to finally get into yeast washing.

Made the beer with S-04 yesterday. Solid brew day, and it's kicking nicely as of this morning. Thanks to everyone for the help! :mug:

-Rich

It's only sold during two months out of the year, as is the case with all Platinum Strains from White Labs.

Gotcha! i'm a yeast noob 1056/1272/1968 guy so I had no idea about the manufactured scarcity

Back