First Crack at Building a Recipe, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenOfBattle

Reaction score
Well this is my first shot at building a recipe and could use a little guidance / thoughts. Please feel free to comment or steer me into the right direction.
Note, I make One gallon batches so anyone with a little experiance feel free to chime in.

I used Brewmasterswarehouse.com Brew Builder to help me out.

Target Style - American IPA
Volume - 1 gallon
1.069OG / 1.017FG
49.2 IBU
21.45 SRM ( I know its high but, thats why I have you fine folks to help out)
6.81 ABV

1.8# Crisp Pale Ale
.10oz Weyermann Cara Rye
.8oz Weyermann Rye Malt

.50oz Mt Hood Pellets @ 60min
.25oz Cascade Pellets @15min
.50oz Chinook Pellets @0min

Yeast; SAFALE US-05 American Ale

Well guys thats about it. Like I mentioned before ANY help would be great! Am I on the right track? What would you tweak? Anythoughts on the outcome?

Is that supposed to be 10 oz and 8 oz respectively? Assuming you're not doing 1/10 of an oz. If so 10 oz carared puts it at almost 22%, which is way too much crystal for an American IPA. I often don't use any, but more like 5% would be better. Certainly wouldn't go over 10%. What's your mash temp?

I'd also up the IBU's for that gravity. You must have pretty low AA% on your Mt Hood. Seems a bit of an odd choice for bittering an American IPA but I suppose you can bitter with anything. I'd probably mix the cascade and chinook for the 2 late additions and do half and half or something like that but that's personal preference. Going to dry hop?

Edit: oops, read your recipe as carared. Still, cararye is a crystal malt, don't have personal experience with it but would still be too much.

Is that supposed to be 10 oz and 8 oz respectively? Assuming you're not doing 1/10 of an oz. If so 10 oz carared puts it at almost 22%, which is way too much crystal for an American IPA. I often don't use any, but more like 5% would be better. Certainly wouldn't go over 10%. What's your mash temp?

I'd also up the IBU's for that gravity. You must have pretty low AA% on your Mt Hood. Seems a bit of an odd choice for bittering an American IPA but I suppose you can bitter with anything. I'd probably mix the cascade and chinook for the 2 late additions and do half and half or something like that but that's personal preference. Going to dry hop?

Edit: oops, read your recipe as carared. Still, cararye is a crystal malt, don't have personal experience with it but would still be too much.

thanks for the response! As having ZERO experiance in building my own I really appreciate the feed back. Yes it was 10 oz and 8 oz. I was going to experament with mash temps, was told somewhere near 165 would "get teh job done" any thoughts? I will deff cut back on the crystal. I wasnt planning on dry hopping but ive always wanted to give it a shot might as well.
thanks again.

Mashing at 165 will either not convert very well or leave a lot of unfermentable sugars and be very sweet (most mash temps range from 148-158). I think that might be a strike temp. I mash my American IPA's around 150-151.

Go for the dry hop! Chinook and cascade is a nice combo.
:mug:

Ill make the adjustments. Dry hop it is!!! how does everything else look to you? Meaning if I make the adjustments, do you think itll turn out ok?

I actually think it looks pretty good if you cut the cararye back to about 2 oz and up the pale malt to compensate (or could up the rye just a bit too - aiming for about 20% of the grainbill). As I said I would personally go for higher IBU (I'd shoot for 65 or so) and maybe adjust the finishing additions a bit in the ways I mentioned, but lots of that is personal preference. We'll see if anyone else chimes in, but thinking about a rye IPA with Chinook and cascade is making me thirsty!

I'll run with this, you're local so might have to send you a bottle for the help. Cant wait to brew and bottle.

If anyone else chimes in I can always use the guidance.

Its precious but I like the idea of other people trying beer you made, you know? hell i think i only drank two of the last batch i made (batch of 8) plus this way you might be able to tell me if i messed up along the way. :mug:

Back