First run on new electric 1/2 bbl system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDaniels

Reaction score
It was a huge success. 5.5 hours including clean up but I did preheat water overnight using the kettle turned down.

I have only put a 5500 watt element in the kettle so far and managed to not use any propane at all!

single kettle or 3 kettles? Did you make a kal style panel for it? Pics or it didn't happen!

Yep, we need pics!
I like the idea of preheating strike water. I'm working on a Arduino based brewery controller (very slowly :D) and this is one feature I will be diffinatly including: I want 20 litres of 70°C ready to go at 7.30pm - Controller make it so :D

I have liked the idea of preheating too so I added an option to do it for me. I set the timer to count done to the time I want it to start heating and then it turns on the pid for the hlt. It also activates the hlt contactor so I don't have to leave that connected all night long

3 Kettles, Keggle for HLT, and 2 20G pots for my MT and Kettle.

I've only converted my Kettle to Electric. I definitely did not go the Kal route. More redneck for the moment, but will update as I add elements and PIDs/sensors to the other vessels.

I used
  1. A 50 Amp SPDT switch from an old lincoln arc welder
  2. A resistor controlled SSR from Ebay to run the elment
  3. A 500KOhm pot for my control knob.
  4. A big old plastic NEMA box to leave room for the next step.
  5. Dryer cord and Stainless Shaker for the elment enclosure
  6. Range Cord for the Main power Cord
  7. A homemade post setup for power distribution using ring connectors throughout.

element enclosure.jpg

setup.jpg

panel.jpg

Back