Fix a bitter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis0123

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I brewed an a.g. batch that consisted of only 10 lbs of u.s. pilsner malt. I mashed 60 min at 149. Boiled 1 oz of Northern Brewer for 60 min, and .5 oz of Hallertauer for 10 min. Kolsch II yeast.
I did this just to see what what a pure pilsner malt beer would be like when brewed just like some of my other beers with more complex grain bills.

Obviously, the 149 mash left no sweetness, and the hops dosage was way too much for such a dry brew. Basically, it is beyond bland. Question is what can I add right now(in secondary at 35 deg) to give it some flavor and compliment the dry/blandness?

i would brew another beer and blend them. also, if you let it age a bit it might change a bit and be acceptable.

I'm generally against fixing a beer after it begins fermenting. I did it on one of my early batches and I wouldn't do it again.

The blending idea is a good one. I generally like my beers that I've blended.

I have a belgian dubbel about 4 weeks old, but I'd hate to blend it. I was thinking of adding some orange peels to it or even throw it in one of my lambic buckets with some fruit puree.

Dry hop it. That would be a fun experiment, dry hopping a pilsner.

Dry hopping sounds like a good idea. And maybe back-sweetening it a little. Add some maltodextrin to give it extra mouthfeel?

If you decide going that way it's gonna be a FrankenKolsch.

I just may do that. I wish I had some saaz! I do have more hallertau (4.3%alpha) and some tettnang. which one would you use?

Back