5.6 ounces corn sugar for priming in 4.5 gallons..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herky21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was calculating for 5 gallons at 2.8 volumes and didn't realize that the 3 pounds of puree I added would add a half gallon of trub loss.

I think this will bring the beer in the 3.1-3.2 range. Anyone have any experience in that range with normal beer bottles, silver caps? I'm a little worried about shrapnel.

If the brew was fully fermented out you should be OK.

I often do 6 oz sugar in 5 gallons for my Saisons and have not had a problem at all.

Just to be safe contain them until you are sure that they are OK. If there was any way that it was not 100% finished, then they may be overcarbed.

If the brew was fully fermented out you should be OK.

I often do 6 oz sugar in 5 gallons for my Saisons and have not had a problem at all.

Just to be safe contain them until you are sure that they are OK. If there was any way that it was not 100% finished, then they may be overcarbed.

That's good to know. So I'll be right in line with the carb of your saisons.
I did a 1.5 liter yeast starter and it was at 18 days primary so I think it was fermented out. I've never used canned puree before though - did taste great so I'm hoping they are all ok.

Oddly, I opened three bombers today, maybe 12-13 hours after bottling, and they foamed over. I let them sit for 5 minutes. I did the same to another dozen 12 ouncers and let those sit and release pressure for 5 min. Then recapped (new caps) all of those. I didn't have time for the other 24 and probably won't until it's too late.

I then packaged all of them in boxes securely and put them in my ferm chamber, set at 60F, so they will carb more slowly. Fingers crossed I guess.

Thanks,

Oddly, I opened three bombers today, maybe 12-13 hours after bottling, and they foamed over. I let them sit for 5 minutes. I did the same to another dozen 12 ouncers and let those sit and release pressure for 5 min. Then recapped (new caps) all of those. I didn't have time for the other 24 and probably won't until it's too late.

The reason they foamed up is the CO2 has not had time to get absorbed into the beer.Warm young beer is guaranteed to foam over. Give them a few weeks and then put a few bottles in the fridge for a few days. I am guessing that they will be fine.

The reason they foamed up is the CO2 has not had time to get absorbed into the beer.Warm young beer is guaranteed to foam over. Give them a few weeks and then put a few bottles in the fridge for a few days. I am guessing that they will be fine.

Ya I figured as much, was just surprised they foamed so much I put them in the ferm tank in part to get more c02 in the liquid

Back