Red Chair NWPA: Round 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
I love this beer. Always have. Every January I'm frantically searching the aisles for the new year's batch of Red Chair. When summer rolls around the Red Chair dries up and I fall into a deep depression. Based on the specs Deschutes gives on the website I'm going to brew this until I get it right.

From the website:
NW 2-row pale malt
Crystal malt
Carastan
Carapils
Munich
Pilsner

Cascade
Centennial

English ale yeast

My recipe:
4# 2-row
4# pilsner
2# Munich
1# C-60
.5# carapils
.5# carastan

1oz centennial @60
1oz centennial @15
1oz cascade @15
1oz cascade @1

WLP 007 dry English ale

Updates to follow...

this is my favorite pale ale by a large margin. deschutes doesnt make a marginal beer imo. subscribed, be sure to keep us updated with tasting comparisons :D

not sure if id go with 60l or 40l for the crystal. maybe wlp002 englis ale, red chair is a bit sweet. 007 might ferment a little too far. everything else looks good. my guess is the secret is in the hop sched. my 2 cents.

Brewed this last night and it came out really well. At the last minute I swapped out the C-60 for C-40 to lighten it a bit. I also did a 90 minute boil because of the pilsner. Most of the Red Chair clones I've seen only have about a pound of pilsner in their recipes but I have a hard time believing a brewery as large as Deschutes would include an ingredient that's contribution is negligible. I was shooting for 1.060 and came out at 1.059. The hops smell dead on but time will tell if I put them in at the right times. I chose the 007 because I've had problems getting the 002 to attenuate as well as White Labs says it can.

All in all it smells like Red Chair but looks a tad darker. We'll see what the yeast do about that. I'm drinking whatever comes out of that fermenter, cloned or not.

sounds good! cant wait to hear your tasting notes. i absolutely love red chair. chainbreaker is on my to-clone list as well.

Back