My beer smells like a fart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackb128

Reaction score
I just bottled my first all grain. It's a Belgium White... taste was fine, but it literally smelled like a fart. Maybe the yeast? I'm doing 3 gallon small batches. Here's the measurements.

3 lbs. unmalted or torrified wheat
1 lb. flaked oats.
4 lbs. pilsner malt
1/4 oz. Kent Goldings hops (5% aa) - boil 75 mins.
1/4 oz. Kent Goldings hops (5% aa) - last 10 mins. of boil.
1 oz. fresh orange peel last 10 mins of boil.
1 oz. crushed coriander seeds last 5 mins. of boil.
Add another 1/2 oz. crushed coriander into primary fermenter after 4 or 5 days (soak seeds in a tiny bit of vodka for 10 min. before adding to fermenter).
1 tsp. gypsum in mash water.
Belgian White liquid yeast.

I didn't add the extra coriander in primary. Any idea what the smell is?

How long did it ferment and at what temp? How old was the yeast? Sometimes yeast creates some pretty awful smells when the beer is young.

How long did it ferment and at what temp? How old was the yeast? Sometimes yeast creates some pretty awful smells when the beer is young.

I had it fermenting for a week, as the instructions said. I'm assuming the shorter fermenting time is because it's a 3 gallon instead of 5 gallon batch. Does the smell indicate that I might of bottled to early?

Hef yeasts put off sulfur, some more than others. Mine didn't subside until just before I kegged after two weeks.

A week is a very short time from boil kettle to bottle. Did you confirm that fermentation was complete?

A week is a very short time from boil kettle to bottle. Did you confirm that fermentation was complete?

+1, and even if gravity was stable the yeast are still cleaning up by-products of fermentation that are not always pleasant. I'm not in the month long primary camp, but usually on my average gravity beers I will let sit 14 days in primary, even if fermentation is complete on day 7. Bigger beers I let sit longer to make sure the yeast has a chance to do their business and clean up after themselves.

Back