Taste Difference between Extract or All-Grain on a Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those that have done hefes via extract and all-grain, can you tell me how much of a difference you've seen (using the same recipe just converted) between them.

Is there German DME or LME available out there....or does it not matter with a hefe....because it's all about the yeast? I'm just curious because Briess and Muntons are the two big ones out there....neither have true German malt...so I was just wondering if you can basically make an extract batch and no one would know if it was extract....and think it's all grain.

Bottom line is taste here for me. Not for it being easier with LME or DME - I was just curious....that and the fact that if Briess or Muntons LME/DME would make a pretty good hefe....then wouldn't their regular grain do as well?

I wish they had a book JUST on hefes....

I have used this grain many times to make a great hefe:

60/40 what/ barley mix by Breiss

I've steeped a pound of honey malt in it before and I recommend that to try as well - delicious.

But then I went AG. And I will not go back. Pilsner malt with wheat malt mashed in and some rice hulls. It's so much lighter tasting and MUCH lighter in color......IMO what a hefe hould be.

Alas, we come to the lat part of your question...YES!!! It's definitely about the yeast for a hefe. The other part is not AS crucial (grains), but it does make a difference and that is why I make beer - to make the BEST product possible. All the little differences end up making one very big sidderence - pour, nose, color, taste.

Back