Buying Expired Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
So, whats the consensus on buying and using expired yeast? It sells for half price at my LHBS. Today i was talking to the guys there and they were all against using it for anything but nutrient. I was wondering thinking, even if its 50% viable, if i am making a starter...whats the problem with using them? I have a feeling they just want to sell me some 8 dollar yeast. I use my washed yeast all the time and there's some of my baby food jars that are probably less viable than the expired yeast vials...

Anybody care to weigh in on this?

I use old yeast all the time. It just takes longer to get up a good batch. My LHBS doesn't like to sell them because they get so many complaints from people who take them home and treat them like normal new yeast, have bad fermentations, and come in looking for refunds.

I haven't yet but certainly would buy old yeast. I always make starters anyway, so stepping one up would just take more time and a little more DME unless I mash some starter wort. I just might do that with some of my older grain.

I bought the wyeast lueven pale from 2 years back for $1 and its currently fermenting a dubbel. Took a while on the first starter to see activity but once I stepped it up it was good to go. What a bargain.

I was just at the store and unearthed a mother load of $1 platinum strains and half a dozen vials of various Brett each for a buck. 14 packs total for the price of two normal ones.

theveganbrewer said:
I was just at the store and unearthed a mother load of $1 platinum strains and half a dozen vials of various Brett each for a buck. 14 packs total for the price of two normal ones.

Damn that's a score, I wish I had your store near me.

theveganbrewer said:

I wish I could score like that. My LHBS would probably double the price of expired yeast, and call them "aged" or some crap. Their grain is more expensive by that sack than from the bin :drunk:

old yeast at my store are 30% off and selection is poor at best (last time they had 4 strains, nothing i wanted to use), but i would buy old yeast if discounted

Back