What should I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcclain

Reaction score
I'm new to All Grain and Kegging. So far I have Brewed a Chinook IPA and Cream Ale from NB and original recipes on another IPA and a Java Stout. I'm about to do a Wheat with peach puree. After that I'm not sure where to go. The Chinook and Cream Ale are in Kegs and the IPA and Stout are both still in primary. So who wants to make a suggestion?

That's why I have 2 IPAs. I guess I should have said that I'm looking to try something I haven't brewed before to gain some experience.

How about an ESB- decent amount of hops with lots of English maltiness. Love all the bitters, really. An Ordinary bitter would be a nice session beer to have around.

If you're like me and enjoy IPAs, make a pale ale, ESB, ordinary bitter, blonde ale, etc. I went down the road of belgians, fruit beers, etc. and I keep coming back to a solid PA/IPA.

Maybe try a steam beer? It would be nice to have something on the more crisp range to offset having two IPA's on tap. Maybe some pilsner malt, with German hops & California lager yeast? Since it's summer you could ferment it in your basement or a cooler room without temperature control.

That's why I have 2 IPAs. I guess I should have said that I'm looking to try something I haven't brewed before to gain some experience.

I understood your question and my answer is still the same. If IPAs are the only style of beer you are familiar with and like to drink, then I would say you need to go out and try some commercial examples of styles you are unfamiliar with until you find something you like, and then look for a good recipe for that style beer. Or just brew IPAs.

Unless you are only doing one gallon batches, why would you want to spend the time and money brewing a style you might not like based on the recommendation of an internet stranger or strangers, who may have radically different tastes in beer than you do, when you can go to a bottle shop and try the style for a few bucks? If you like it, great. If not, you learned this without having 5 gallons of it sitting around.

There are lots of great styles and beers out there, plus a ton of great recipes, but only you know what you might like. Good luck.

Whatever you dig. I've brewed four IPAs in a row.

Maybe try a steam beer? It would be nice to have something on the more crisp range to offset having two IPA's on tap. Maybe some pilsner malt, with German hops & California lager yeast? Since it's summer you could ferment it in your basement or a cooler room without temperature control.

I like this! I think I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion! :mug:

How about something Belgian? A Dubbel would be a big change from what you've brewed before. Or if you're not into Belgians you could try an American Brown ale.

go to the store and buy a few types of beer you have never tried before. I'm sure you will find one of them you like. Then do some research and brew one of those types so you are expanding not only your brew knowledge but your beer style knowledge all at once.

I'll agree with the ESB as well. Going to be one of my brews in the near future. So tasty...

I don't think there is a style out there that I haven't sampled, but if I'm wrong I will happily indulge! :) My point in this thread was just to get some suggestions from the community. With all the possibilities, the voices in my head were creating too much noise and I was hoping for a little direction. Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to go with a Steam, ESB and a Blonde with an IPA mixed in there for my next 4 beers.

Back