5 gallon zepherhills bottle for ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short answer yes.... Will your beer come out good NO
those bottles are made to hold water only. you'll get the long version shortly by others

Personally I've used water bottles to ferment and I have had no ill effects. Just make sure that it had a resin code of either 1 or 2 on the bottom. (Mine are all 1s.) For a long time 7s were the most common, but thanks to people getting paranoid about BPA the water manufacturers have been removing them from circulation and replacing them with PET (1).

***To check for a resin code look for a recycling symbol with a number inside, this is typically found on the bottom of a container.

Short answer yes.... Will your beer come out good NO
those bottles are made to hold water only. you'll get the long version shortly by others

Dont listen to this guy...
As long as your using a PETE or HPDE grade plastic youll be fine...Heres a list of the different grades of plastics.
Look for the numbered triangle on the bottle of the vessel

resin-codes-poster.jpg

Johnnyhitch1 said:
As long as your using a PETE or HPDE grade plastic youll be fine...Heres a list of the different grades of plastics.

The reason I posted that is when I lived in FL a couple years back the bottles Z-hills used were graded 7 which wouldn't work for beer it's a good possibility they've changed since then.....

resin-codes-poster.jpg

This.

I use a 3 gallon "Absopure" bottle for lagers in my minifridge. Never had a problem.

I've heard they are good for "one and done" batches , but personally have never used them for fermenting. I've switched to the better bottles and love them.

I have used them for most of my batches and have not noticed a difference from buckets. But as mentioned above, just check the number on the plastic

Latest posts

Back