mold in my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I've got my BPA in the secondary. I pitched it on a yeast cake from a previous IPA. It has been aging about 2 weeks and I noticed today that there were some white and yellowish moldy looking floaters about the size of a pencil eraser. One note, I did forget to put the inner piece to my airlock in and even though the top was on I guess some nasties could have had acces to my brew. The brew smells great. Any thoughts?

First thought... make sure your airlock is put on properly. If you still have not replaced the cup inside of the airlock, do so now. I would also recommend racking out of the secondary either directly into the bottling bucket to bottle, or going to another secondary. Just get it out of the mold. The batch is not ruined by any means. Just make sure it doesn't get worse.

Maybe try sucking up the floaters with a turkey baster before you transfer any more, so as not to spread it any further.

ah just let it go. I had some pretty good mold on one of my beers. I racked from underneath trying not to suck any mold up. Turned out to be one of my best beers ever.

ah just let it go. I had some pretty good mold on one of my beers. I racked from underneath trying not to suck any mold up. Turned out to be one of my best beers ever.

Ditto....I did a secret test on all my friends with a beer like this. I had a San Diego IPA that started to have a bunch of moldly nasties on top after it had been in secondary a little while. I figured if I didn't tell anyone they wouldn't know.

A few weeks later I kegged that batch and everyone LOVED it! :p

What does the mold look like? Got any pictures? White/Yellow is probably not mold but some kind of wild bugs (brett, pedio, lacto). They can cause a moldy like buildup that looks pretty funky but is perfectly safe for your beer. Theres just that whole sour part to deal with :)

Back