Flaked Corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeeman

Reaction score
How much flaked corn can be added to a 5gallon batch without tasting that corn flavour? I was thinking around 4oz? I am only looking for the sweetness and smoothness that is added by the corn. I do not want any corn flavour

How much flaked corn can be added to a 5gallon batch without tasting that corn flavour? I was thinking around 4oz? I am only looking for the sweetness and smoothness that is added by the corn. I do not want any corn flavour

You can add quite a bit of corn without getting a "corn" flavor. Flaked corn is usually used in place of malted barley to lighten the body and flavor of the beer by giving fermentable sugars without malt flavor. I've used up to 20% without a "corn" flavor.

Four ounces isn't going to do anything for you. At a rate of 10-20% of the grist, depending on the other ingredients, you will get a lighter colored beer with some grainy/sweet slightly corn flavor. Domestic mega brews using corn, such as Miller, have about 45% corn in the recipe.

I too use around 20% flaked corn. It does provide a little "sweetness" that rice does not have. If it tastes of corn, then you have a fermentation problem

Back