Thermapen. Get one.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
I just brewed with my new Thermapen last night. Its an investment I have been trying to fight off for years. But my mash temps have been too far swinging, and I became sick of it. This bad boy performed perfectly. Impressed, honestly. I've used several floaty thermometers, they work, but far from accurate. I have a big dial thermometer in my HLT, which brand name is escaping me. That works well, but only in the HLT. This thing works in everything.

Just a little push for anyone who has been struggling with the price tag. I finally pulled the trigger and it just made my brew day that much better. Less aggravation, less inaccuracy = more fun, better beer.

+1 I was using a cheap digital and it took too long for it to find the actual temperature.

I cannot be happier with my Thermapen. Well worth the seemingly steep $$

I use the Thermapen when I am heating my strike water and adjust the dial thermometer accordingly.

Themapens rock, i bought one when i started getting serious about baking bread several years ago and it usually comes out each brew day

+3 on Thermapens. Yes the price is a bit unpleasant, but once you own it you'll forget all about that.

The Thermapen is awesome, but TW makes a number of other awesome thermometers that are accurate for less.

At least, until I can upgrade to a thermapen.

Just got one as a graduation gift, it rocks on brewday! Much more accurate, easy to use, and no worries about dropping or otherwise breaking a glass one.

Cyclman said:
The Thermapen is awesome, but TW makes a number of other awesome thermometers that are accurate for less.

At least, until I can upgrade to a thermapen.

+ 1

I just bought one of TW's lower end model pocket digitals, and for ~$20 it's fantastic. Accurate to within .9 degrees +/-, and reads super fast. Way better that the dial thermometer I had been using. I looked real hard at their ThermoPens for a while, but right now I'm fully satisfied with their Pocket Digital model.

+ 1

I just bought one of TW's lower end model pocket digitals, and for ~$20 it's fantastic. Accurate to within .9 degrees +/-, and reads super fast. Way better that the dial thermometer I had been using. I looked real hard at their ThermoPens for a while, but right now I'm fully satisfied with their Pocket Digital model.

Which model did you get?

I bought the RT301WA on Amazon. very accurate and reads fast--about 5 sec. I got tired of using a glass floating thermometer, as it was too slow, plus the risk of breakage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have four thermometers from Thermoworks and the RT301WA is my favorite. Having the display on the end is so much easier to use than the ones on the side.

Haha, yeah I got a little bag of jelly beans too. I thought it was nice.

Also, after using it just the once, I can see how a readout at the back end would be a tad bit more useful than the sideways one I bought. Also, a backlight would be nice.

I prefer the corded Polder's TBH - I can set a temp alarm for my hot liquor tank, I can have the probe in my covered mashtun without removing the lid, and it's easier to get my chiller dialed in with it than a hand-held...

Back