Mead Blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakelyc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I have four single-honey meads in my inventory: orange blossom that has been in bottle about a year, wildflower that is 11 months in bottle, a berry blossom that has been bulk-aging for 6 months, and a buckwheat that has been bulk-aging for 6 months.

All of them are good, but none of them are awesome. Each one has components that I think could add up to a really nice mead. So, I'm toying with the idea of a blending exercise. Does anyone have any advice? I assume it is as easy as keeping track of blending ratios to reproduce on a larger scale. But other than that, does anyone have a process that you like to follow? Or any suggestions on the best way to proceed?

Thanks!
-Blake

It really is as simple as that. I'm not sure if you meed to siphon to prevent oxidization or what. I'm no expert. Someone more experienced will comment though. Good luck! :mug:

One of them has never quite cleared..... I wonder if i need it to be clear before blending? Or maybe the blending process will actually help that one clear out (in as much as it ends up in other meads)?

I think this is going to be a fun exercise :)

I only have experience blending in the glass...it works well if you have something too sweet to blend it with a dry mead... In terms of the one that needs to clear more...if you are planning on bottling directly from the blending process, I'd want that one to be as clear as possible to minimize sediment in the bottle (more of a cosmetic thing, to be sure, but I like a nice clear bottle with minimal to no sediment). You could hit it with some SuperKleer KC, and it should be clear as a bell in 24 hrs...

Back