DIY Dual Roller Grain Mill, couple of questions for those that have done it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
I am building a dual roller grain mill and have a couple of questions about specifics. I have read a handful of good DIY threads and have my rollers knurled.
Couple of things I am not solid on.

1) Most mills I see use an dual eccentric knob setup to adjust the gap of the rollers. Can someone explain exactly how the eccentric know setup is built? Can someone explain how to setup the roller gap using only one knob?
2) A drill or motor powers the mill by turning one of the wheels. Does the other roller (the adjustable one) move? If so, what powers this wheel?

Thanks much
Lakedawgs

I'm planning on something similar, though I haven't built anything on mine yet, or even closely examined a commercially-made mill--so take this with a grain (or several) of salt. I also don't have access to a milling machine, so I've been noodling out how to do it all on my lathe.

1. What I've seen, and plan to do myself, works like this: There's a round hole in the end plate. In that hole goes a short round piece of bar stock, which can be turned--that's the eccentric. The eccentric has a hole drilled off-center; the axle of the roller goes in that hole (add whatever bushing or bearing arrangement you prefer). I wouldn't think you'd be able to do this with only one knob--you'd get an uneven gap from end to end. I'd think you'd need to have eccentrics on each end to get a consistent gap across the entire width of the rollers. You'd then have lock screws to lock the eccentrics in place.

2. In most mills, the second roller is freewheeling. It moves with the friction of the grain passing through it; when there's no grain it doesn't move appreciably.

Hope this helps, and I'll be interested to see any other responses as well.

Thanks,
This is what I was thinking on both, but was not sure. Some mills have a single wheel adjustment for sure. I, like you, have not had a chance to inspect one yet.
I have the roller shaft knurled, just need to cut it in two pieces and mill the ends. I have a machinist at my company helping me but it will be a slow process.

Have a look at the mashmaster, they have an exploded diagram of parts on their website. And it's a geared system, a fair number of folks wish their mill wasn't a freewheeler.

http://www.mashmaster.com.au/p/4571858/mashmaster-minimill-stainless-steel-grain-mill.html

mashmaster.jpg

Latest posts

Back