Mobile Beer Lab released for iOS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobileBeerLab

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I finally finished the first version of my brewing app for iPhone. I know, I know. Everyone and their mom has their own brewing app; hear me out, though.

The reason I built this app is that every app out there requires tedious button tapping to enter data. That just isn't the way it was meant to be on a phone. The screen is way too small for that, and I for one, end up fat fingering every other key. I came up with a solution to this problem. All data entry is done by swiping a dial. It's easier to enter data, and it's even easier to try out different values to see how it affects the recipe. The whole experience is optimized to make those inevitable last minute tweaks while you're outside brewing or picking up supplies at the homebrew shop.

Check out http://www.mobilebeerlab.com/ or download the app on iTunes.

iPhone5s-TableOfContents_framed.png iPhone5s-HopAdditionsExpanded_framed.png iPhone5s-AbvCalculation_framed.png

I have some exciting stuff planned in the future, and I'm happy to take any feedback. Cheers :mug:

I'll bite. I'm pretty much fat fingered too. I'll try to play with it at work tomorrow.

Downloaded will play around with it... Seems to be missing batch tracking features, for me, that is the most important part of a brewing app.

Thanks for the feedback TorMag.

When you say batch tracking, what kind of tracking do you usually do? Can you elaborate a bit on what you would find useful?

Anyone else have any comments? I'd love to hear more feedback.

Immediate questions:

How do I change it to metric?
EDIT: Grams available in Hops menu, information button. No metric apparently available for volume or malt

How do I change mash efficiency?
EDIT: Found it in the information button, in malt menu.

Will this calculate whirlpool hop additions?

Which formula is used for IBUs?
EDIT: Tinseth & Rager available from information button in Hops menu.

How do I add dry yeast? Or another liquid yeast manufacturer?

How did you calculate malt potential? Will it be adjustable?

Thanks for the feedback TorMag.

When you say batch tracking, what kind of tracking do you usually do? Can you elaborate a bit on what you would find useful?

Anyone else have any comments? I'd love to hear more feedback.

Things like Brew date, OG, FG, Style, ABV, Name, IBUS, Pitch Date, Secondary Date, Keg Date, Rating, Description Things like that. Pop-up reminders would be cool too.

How do you delete ingredients? Say you add a hop and then wish to delete, don't see any obvious way to do that except make the quantity or time zero. What am I missing? Thanks!

So far this is a really good start and I look forward to using it on my next brew day.

A Couple things I could see as useful:
Adjuncts under recipes. I occasionally use spices and Honey (which affects S.G.)
Refractometer Calculator for alcohol offset (This would be really useful if you are planning on implementing tracking)
Water Requirements Calculator for target volumes (might require some sort of equipment profiles to compensate for losses)

Found a typo under yeasts - WYeast 3711 - You have it as "French Saiso" instead of "French Saison"

A nuisance I've found is when you add the malts. You increase the amount then select the next malt. It stays on the previous malt instead of the new one you just added. So I keep adjusting the previous malt amount.

It would be nice if the focus is on the new malt you added instead of the previous one. This way you do not have to perform more clicks or taps to adjust the amount.

I hope this makes sense.

Edit - The same thing happens with the hops.

MobileBeerLab, you have the start of a good app here. I know you are probably doing this on the side. You should run with this, but it seems this is dying on the vine.

Back