Recipe Critique: Big Mike ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overall, how is my recipe?

• Ready to brew

• Almost there, needs some tweaking

• Needs some work, back to the drawing board

Results are only viewable after voting.

zachhodgson

Reaction score
Hello! I've been commissioned by a friend to brew a beer for his birthday. In looking for something approachable and semi sessionable, I've decided on an ESB. I'm shooting for mainly UK sourced ingredients for authenticity, plus a little US Victory Malt for a little tongue and cheek funny. As I'm still new at this, I'd love to know what you think of the extract recipe below.

Fermentables:
6lb UK Maris Otter Extract
1.5lb Honey*

Specialty Grains (steeped at 155 for 30min):
4oz UK Medium Crystal
2oz UK Roasted Barley
2oz US Victory Malt

Hops:
60 min: 1oz UK Target
20 min: 0.33oz UK EKG
20 min: 0.33oz UK Fuggles
00 min: 0.33oz UK EKG
00 min: 0.33oz UK Fuggles

Dry Hop: 0.33oz UK EKG
Dry Hop: 0.33oz UK Fuggles

Yeast:
Safale S-04

Estimated From Beer Alchemy:
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.008
ABV: 5%
IBU: 52.7
Color: 12.2 SRM

Thanks very much for all your help.

I'd tone down the 60 minute addition a bit and get the dry hopping upped a little. The IBUs seem a bit high. The honey addition seems a bit high as well, and the OG low for an ESB. Then again, call it a "best bitter", and you're good.

The roasted barley is an interesting addition. Reminds me a bit of Goose Island's Honker's Ale - ESB like ale with just a hint of roasty toast on the finish. It's good stuff.

I would go with all EKG and Fuggles, at least that's how I have done my ESB's in the past. Also, the Wyeast ESB yeast (I think it's 1968?) is really good unless you are dead set on using dry.

After some consideration, I've decided that turning this into a Best Bitter works a little better for the context and I've revised the recipe. Also, I felt that some simplification was in order. I'd love to hear what you think of the revisions.

Fermentables:
6lb UK Maris Otter Extract
1lb Honey

Specialty Grains (steeped at 155 for 30min):
4oz UK Medium Crystal
2oz UK Roasted Barley
2oz US Victory Malt

Hops:
60 min: 1.5oz UK EKG
10 min: 0.5oz UK EKG
00 min: 1.0oz UK EKG

Dry Hop: 1.0oz UK EKG