goofy krausen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les2point0

Reaction score
First of all, hello everyone. It is strange this is my first post considering I use this site as reference constantly, so it is very nice to meet you all. :off:

I recently switched to all grain brewing, and two of the three batches I have done (one an alt, one a Golden American IPA), I have had to place them in the carboy and pitch the yeast the following day actually due to a smoke detector issue in my house (all the of the smoke detectors go off in a three tier apartment when heat changes by 4 degrees or more and they take at least a half hour or longer to shut off, it drives me up the wall). Both I used a starter, both had very low OG (1.052 and 1.048 respectively - I used grain that had been cracked for a month or longer), and both had about a 12 hour delay between being placed in the carboy and pitching the yeast. Both of them saw major activity within an hour, and within 12 hours they both had krausens that absolutely exploded much like a hefenweizen. I am already pretty stressed that I had to pitch the yeast so much later, but is this normal? Is my process of pitching the yeast so much later going to hurt my brew?

Thanks guys.

Should be fine. I wouldn't make it a habit as that extra window of time gives a chance for all the little bugs in your wort to get a jump start on your yeast. But if you sanitized well their cell counts should have been so low even this amount of time is not that big of a deal.

Back