Bitter and very dry Wit. What do you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first issue you'll have is getting 90% AA. Ive never used that strain but WL says 70-75% AA. You may get into the 80s but you'll probably need sugar to get it any lower than that. Other than that...a bitter wit isn't my style but if you think you'll like it, give it a go.

I could be wrong, but I think Munton's DME is 75% fermentable. Double check that. Same goes for the wheat extract. If that's all the case, you're going to need simple sugars to get to 90%. You'll also need to manage fermentation well, meaning rising temps throughout and possibly a few rousings. Good luck.

The first issue you'll have is getting 90% AA. Ive never used that strain but WL says 70-75% AA. You may get into the 80s but you'll probably need sugar to get it any lower than that. Other than that...a bitter wit isn't my style but if you think you'll like it, give it a go.

Are you talking about adding sugar (dextrose) to the recipe or in the meantime (near the end) of the fermentation?

I could be wrong, but I think Munton's DME is 75% fermentable. Double check that. Same goes for the wheat extract. If that's all the case, you're going to need simple sugars to get to 90%. You'll also need to manage fermentation well, meaning rising temps throughout and possibly a few rousings. Good luck.

Simple sugars AKA table sugar? Would you add it to recipe or in the primary?

Simple sugars AKA table sugar? Would you add it to recipe or in the primary?

Any mono- or disaccharide will work fine, as far as I know, so table sugar is fine. I'd just throw it in the boil. You can add it towards the end if you want slightly higher AA extraction, but otherwise you can add it any time.

If you want a lower FG, sub out a portion of your extract for table sugar. It ferments completely and won't leave residual sugars behind. You can add it to the boil or to the primary (boiled in water as you would priming sugar).

WLP-400 is capable of getting into the low 80s on AA.

I've seen 83% personally, on an all-grain process. It's a very slow yeast though. That 83% took a full month up around 72F to pull off. Don't expect quick results. WLP-410 attenuates less, mine stopped around 78%.

If you're going extract, use some simple sugars as others have suggested, and you could probably expect to hit 85% with WLP-400 and patience.

Will it be a good beer? That's another question entirely ;)

Back