Blonde Ale and a Cream Ale, which yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
I ended up buying a vial of WLP007 for a DFH 90min IPA clone, but various circumstances have made it so I cannot brew it soon enough.

I was already planning on Cream of 3 Crops and also a Blonde Ale (recipe not determined yet).

I have the WLP007 and Safale S-05 available. Which one should I use for each?

I know they are both clean fermenting, but I worry the WLP007 may end up too dry. I used S-05 last time I made Cream of 3 Crops and loved it.

Not wanting to buy any additional yeast at the moment so trying to make due with what I have.

I appreciate the input! Thanks!

Kosch

I would use the American style yeast v the English yeast for those styles, probably. That being said, I often make Americanstyle beers with Scottish yeast, so maybe the English yeast would be an interesting experiment.

Ohh man I really wouldn't even think of using a dry English yeast in the 3 crops beer. Unless you were just playing and were making 10 gallons and pitching a different yeast into each ferment.... But hell you never know until you try right.

Cheers
Jay

I'd use the S05. It's basically the same as WLP001.

The WLP007 is a great yeast but it attenuates a little higher than S05, so save it for something with some specialty malts if you don't want a dry beer.

Thanks all! I think I may have been a bit tired and didn't quite explain; I have 1 pack each of S-05 and WLP007, and wanted to use one for the cream ale, and one for the blonde as I was going to be brewing both here soon and wouldn't be making a trip to the LHBS for awhile.

I guess based on the input here if I absolutely HAD to, I would use the WLP007 for the blonde (since it will likely have some caramel malts and such), but I should probably just suck it up and get some more S-05. I was just trying to use what I had on hand, but I also don't want a terribly dry blonde ale.

I'll be brewing the blonde first so will just use the S-05 and figure out something later for the cream ale, maybe I'll see if someone local wants to trade WLP007 for 001 or S-05.

Thanks for the help! Cheers!

Kosch

No, I think you'd be alright with the WLP007 for the blonde- if you keep it fairly cool it should be pretty neutral. It's a nice yeast.

Back