Growing Hops In New England

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
Thinking about growing hops this year. I live 20 minutes north of boston. Any recommendations on the best type of hops for our weather and the best methods.

From the last couple of years experience, I think you could grow pretty much any strain you can get hold of around here. But, for sure Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Fuggles do well, all things equal. I packed a fridge/freezer compartment full of home-growns this last fall.

As for techniques, use all the good ones...

Cheers!

I have 2 year old Cascade and Centennial that have been doing well.

This year, I'm starting some Chinook, Fuggle and Golding.

Lots of free info at the UVM Extension (University of Vermont) on hops. They have done some extensive trial work on a number of varieties, mostly for commercial use. Are you growing for fun or profit? That may play a factor as well. Paul

Right now just to get a good understanding of the process and to use in my own brews. Depending on how it goes I would most likely look into making a profit if I get the hang of it I will definitely check out the UVM stuff when I get home. Thanks!

I have 7 varieties in the ground, 6 that I "cropped" last year, and 1 Willamette as an oddball this year. I say cropped kind of tongue in cheek, Cascase and Zeus did very well, Northern Brewer, Fuggle, Perle did ok, and Saaz was so low it shouldn't count.

So far I find them much easier than cranberries (my former crop) and I sure like what they go into! I don't brew but have a nanobrewery on site so my goal is profit focused. I grow what the brewer asked for (Zeus was my idea) so I have no marketing to do.

I don't know much but will be happy to share what I do. Paul

Back