When shall I dry-hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am about to ferment my beer for 3 weeks in the very same bucket. When shall I dry-hop? I know it is after the initial fermentation period subsides, which is about a week, isnt it?

So...shall I dry-hop after a week? The pellets will stay in the liquid for 2 weeks then. That's ok...I guess.

With 14 days of primary I usually dry hop after 7 days, cold crash for 2 days and keg/bottle.

Don't dry hop for more than 5 days. Don't primary any longer than two consecutive gravity readings that are equal. This 3 week primary crap is the most pervasive, annoying piece of of misinformation spouted on this forum.

*wait for flame*

Don't dry hop for more than 5 days. Don't primary any longer than two consecutive gravity readings that are equal. This 3 week primary crap is the most pervasive, annoying piece of of misinformation spouted on this forum.

*wait for flame*

I agree with a 3 week primary being unnecessary but I won't call it "crap".

I keep my beer in the fermenter for 10-14 days normally. Then I package it. If I'm dryhopping, I'll add the dryhops 5-7 days before packaging.

I dryhop once the beer is finished and is clear (or starting to clear), so that's usually on about day 10-12 or so.

I agree with a 3 week primary being unnecessary but I won't call it "crap"

I'm just frustrated with those that call me names and question my advice with 3 page posts and 20 links, all in an effort to discredit and bury any information I might want to share with a new brewer, because surely there's only one way to brew.

Maybe you caught me on a bad morning, maybe things have changed here, but it's a big reason I pretty much disappeared off this forum for a couple years.

I'm just frustrated with those that call me names and question my advice with 3 page posts and 20 links, all in an effort to discredit and bury any information I might want to share with a new brewer, because surely there's only one way to brew.

Maybe you caught me on a bad morning, maybe things have changed here, but it's a big reason I pretty much disappeared off this forum for a couple years.

I appreciate the discussion, and no one is allowed to call anyone names!

I'm not a fan of the lengthy primary myself, and there are many others that agree. It seems to be a very vocal minority who recommend an extended primary, but it's not for me as I don't like the yeast character that is picked up. It's one of those things that really come down to personal preference.

Well, he just expressed his opinion...without being offensive. I do appreciate both of you replying to my comment. It is information....from different people who seem to have experience. That's it.

Thanks,

I leave it in primary long enough to reach FG,& settle out clear or slightly misty. Might be 2.5 weeks,might be 3. I guess 2.5 weeks would be average for me. I don't like to leave it sitting any longer than is needed to do the job. When it's pretty clear,I dry hop for 7 days. The sooner I get it into bottles,the sooner I get to enjoy them!

My last IPA sat for 2.5 weeks before I dry hopped for a week. I didn't want to keep it in primary for so long but the yeast was still active and the gravity readings were still dropping so I waited.

To the OP I'd say wait till the gravity is stable, wait a day or so and then dry hop for 4-7 days and then bottle/keg.

My last IPA sat for 2.5 weeks before I dry hopped for a week. I didn't want to keep it in primary for so long but the yeast was still active and the gravity readings were still dropping so I waited.

To the OP I'd say wait till the gravity is stable, wait a day or so and then dry hop for 4-7 days and then bottle/keg.

How often do you take the gravity reading?

How often do you take the gravity reading?

Generally I wait till the activity in the airlock has slowed to a crawl. Then I'll take a reading, wait 48-72 hours and take it again. Some people take a reading 3 days in a row but I try to limit the chance of contamination.

I let the IPA sit for 2 and a half weeks because for over 2 weeks the airlock was still popping every 6-7 seconds. This was my first time dry hopping but from what I understand it's not a good idea to dry hop when there is still active fermentation going on.

Generally I wait till the activity in the airlock has slowed to a crawl. Then I'll take a reading, wait 48-72 hours and take it again. Some people take a reading 3 days in a row but I try to limit the chance of contamination.

I let the IPA sit for 2 and a half weeks because for over 2 weeks the airlock was still popping every 6-7 seconds. This was my first time dry hopping but from what I understand it's not a good idea to dry hop when there is still active fermentation going on.
airlock still popping after 2 weeks? Wow....what yeast did you use?
In my case....bubbling stops after, more or less, 4 days with safale S0-4.

airlock still popping after 2 weeks? Wow....what yeast did you use?
In my case....bubbling stops after, more or less, 4 days with safale S0-4.

That had always been the case in my previous beers. For this one I made a starter using WLP001 yeast.

On my Maori IPA,I pitched US-05 dry just for old time's sake. Bubbled pretty steady for two weeks. The hybrid lagers used WL029,with about the same result. One pitched straight up,the other in a 800mL starter. All were partial mash,save for the dark one with the grains making up 50% of the fermentables. That fresh wort really ferments for a while with good conversion ime.

Back