"What If" I used WLP550 instead of WLP001 in an amber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlblues5010

Reaction score
I just did my first yeast washing (reusing) of a Belgian (WLP550) I want to do an amber next that is calling for the California ale (WLP001) what would happen if I used the Belgian? I'm kind of anxious to see how I did with yeast washing (reusing). The fermentation temps are about the same, attenuation is about the same and alcohol tolerance is about the same.

Thanks

No worries at all...you will simply get a belgian style amber with flavors typical of that yeast strain. Experimenting like this is a good thing IMO, you will recognize where the different flavors in the beer come from, being malt, yeast and hops.

Your beer won't be true to style as an American Amber Ale w/ the belgian yeast, that is not saying it won't be very good.

Do you like the beer you have made previously with this yeast? If yes, go for it.

Try it! If you don't like that yeast profile in an amber, it isn't the end of the world. You still have beer to drink laying around for a rainy day...

Thanks that what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it somebody else might.:cross:

Back