Wagon Wheel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Why do I feel so betrayed?

Possibly my favorite song EVER remade by a country *********.

Awful. I really listened (for a minute) to Darius Rucker's version. Absolutely awful.

I guess my only hope is that people will hear that song and search for the original and discover Old Crow. (Yes, I know that Dylan originally started it)

I hear ya. it came on the radio the other day at work, and I was all like, "WTF!?! Who the flocc is this d-bag?". then I put in OCMS.

I hear ya. it came on the radio the other day at work, and I was all like, "WTF!?! Who the flocc is this d-bag?". then I put in OCMS.

I HATE how country....no scratch that.......how ALL pop artists take somebody else's song, re-record it and release it as a single.

[rant]

I'm surprised at the number of 'new-grass' folks out there that have tagged along the OCMS band-wagon (no pun intended) without knowing a darn thing about REAL bluegrass.

[/rant]

MC

You are confused. I like real bluegrass. No genre is immune to cross pollination.

Old crow is not recieving fans because they think it is "bluegrass".

I am from the Bluegrass. Every Wednesday night I go to the monkeywrench and hear some REAL bluegrass (played by some talented young people who have day jobs. 1 mic).

If Old Crow generates some interest in "REAL" bluegrass, then most true fans would appreciate it.

I do.

Old crow is frigging awesome.

I feel your pain! There is nothing quite like hearing the familiar notes of your favorite song and then the ensuing rage when you realize that some a$$hat has decided to cover it and then completely butcher it.

I'm not much of a bluegrass or country person but after a cursory listen of both versions on Youtube I've come to the conclusion that Rucker's version is inferior.

I feel your pain! There is nothing quite like hearing the familiar notes of your favorite song and then the ensuing rage when you realize that some a$$hat has decided to cover it and then completely butcher it.

I'm not much of a bluegrass or country person but after a cursory listen of both versions on Youtube I've come to the conclusion that Rucker's version is inferior.

Is there a worse example of this than Rascal Flatts covering Life is a Highway?

BTW not saying either of these are the worst covers ever but 2 songs that sound basically just like the original until someone opens their mouth.

I mean just to rattle off some horrific covers, Celine Dion covering You Shook Me All Night Long, Madonna covering American Pie (seriously didn't think you could do it worse), Britney Spears Satisfaction, Duran Duran 911's a joke, Motley Crue Anarchy in the UK, Limp Bizkit's Behind Blue Eyes (seriously if someone tells me it's good I know you have terrible taste in music and their cover of Faith is right there as well, just less of a crime against humanity as Behind Blue Eyes), Aerosmith's Come Together and I'm sure there are many more I'm forgetting at this moment and I'd add just about every single "Punk goes xxxx" can go in there. Those crappy covers of crappy songs make me pine for the crappy songs. Nothing makes me want to hear the original version of Umbrell more than a crappy "punk" version of it. Adding insult to injury I worked in a mall where we got temporarily moved to a spot right in front of Hollister so aside from playing screamo and Punk Goes Pop and so on so forth, it smells like crap as well.

Honestly, I so completeley don't give an eff about Hootie, I didn't know that was Hootie.

And Yes, *****ey is as *****ey does. Still flaming horrible.

Yeah that cover sucks total balls. Check out OCMS and Gillian Welch cover The Weight by The Band on YouTube, it'll cheer you up!

I appreciate all of the support.......phew.........feeling a little.....better....still......hate...Hootie...

[rant]

I'm surprised at the number of 'new-grass' folks out there that have tagged along the OCMS band-wagon (no pun intended) without knowing a darn thing about REAL bluegrass.

[/rant]

MC
aww, you mean like Flatt & Scruggs or the Stanley Brothers? or do we need to start name dropping the most back woods hill billy bluegrass for it to count?

I like OCMS because they're good, not because I think that's what bluegrass is. if I had to label them as anything, it'd be folk. just because someone's playing a lap steel, it don't mean they're country as a turnip green.

You are confused. I like real bluegrass. No genre is immune to cross pollination.

Old crow is not recieving fans because they think it is "bluegrass".

If Old Crow generates some interest in "REAL" bluegrass, then most true fans would appreciate it.

I do.

Old crow is frigging awesome.
Exactly what I thought when I read M_C's comment.

An awesome version of Wagon Wheel. Don't let the shaggy hair fool you haha. Matt Andersen does a lot of good covers, but is also has some good original stuff.

And I agree with most people on this thread. Darius Rucker's version blows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with other people playing the song. While Old Crow took a fragmentary idea and made it whole, it could be argued that they are covering it.

Hootie's version feels like a publicity stunt coldly calculated to help his *****ey career.

Hoppyhoppyhippo has an amazingly complete list at the bottom of page 1, but as he said, this feels like *****ey Flatts (or whoever) playing that "Life is a Highway" song.

Why? That song is no wagon wheel, but it was a catchy sure hit. The original isn't 20 years old, why remake it and just play the same effing thing the original guys did?

I find that Hootie has been stalking me for years. I don't like it but cannot seem to get a restraining order. It all started when a couple friends and myself went into a bar one night and saw a guy that looked just like him. Then it came over the 'jukebox'. Then the next time we hung out 3 songs into the night someone else had thrown on Hootie. Every time I hang out with this guy Hootie starts playing and I have watched him. He does not turn it on. Now since I pretty much switched to country only over the radio thinking I was safe...

Well. Over the weekend my dad came over to help me on putting together my nursery and do the wainscoting SWMBO wanted. I have my Pandora going and OCMS's Wagon Wheel comes on. My Dad asks me if I know who wrote it, Easy, Dylan. Then he proceeds to tell me about ole Hootie Rucker doing a version that's being played now. And I informed it it was horrible. So we had a pretty good argument over the whole deal. Thank you HBT for keeping me to my senses. It's strange to me though that my dad, who grew up listening to great music and got me listening to great music thinks it's good. The only thing I can think of as a reason is while it is still horrible, it's still better than the vast majority of the music played today on the radio. (He mostly listens to K-Luv and country stations)

At least he kept some of the banjo and kept the fiddle.

Well. Over the weekend my dad came over to help me on putting together my nursery and do the wainscoting SWMBO wanted. I have my Pandora going and OCMS's Wagon Wheel comes on. My Dad asks me if I know who wrote it, Easy, Dylan. Then he proceeds to tell me about ole Hootie Rucker doing a version that's being played now. And I informed it it was horrible. So we had a pretty good argument over the whole deal. Thank you HBT for keeping me to my senses. It's strange to me though that my dad, who grew up listening to great music and got me listening to great music thinks it's good. The only thing I can think of as a reason is while it is still horrible, it's still better than the vast majority of the music played today on the radio. (He mostly listens to K-Luv and country stations)

At least he kept some of the banjo and kept the fiddle.

It is a fundamentally good song. Even if queensryche got back together and made a version, it would have some merit, for at it's core, it is a good song. Thus Darius F*cker's *****ebeggery......

A half retarded monkey with no formal training could record Wagon Wheel, and it would still be at least passable. Just as Rascal Flatts had a sure hit with that bubble gum "Life is a highway" song.

No risk, just an unforgiveable shot to whatever pathetic career you have going, requiring no talent or risk.

One of the worst covers of all time. It's exactly like the original, but terrible. I didn't realize it was Hootie at first, I was stunned. When I came too, it all made sense.

^hah, long as i can hear my sweet, sweet Hootie!

no sacch rest needed.

but srsly, darius rucker's version is the first i've heard of this song alltogether.

^hah, long as i can hear my sweet, sweet Hootie!

no sacch rest needed.

but srsly, darius rucker's version is the first i've heard of this song alltogether.

You are fine!!!!

As I said, even Hootie couldn't ruin that good of a song.

I am at work, can somebody post up OCMS for for this good man??????

You have good music and bad music. But since the only people purchasing LPs any more are little teeny girls whose daddy gives his princess the money for it they get to dictate what pay to play radio has on cue like taylor swift and the old black dude from hootie & suckfish as well as gwyneth paltrow WTF!? really?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kill-Nashville-Pop/170477068741

we tried back in 2010 to get rid of this crap guess ill hold on to my Avett Brothers,Acoustic Syndicate, and Cross Canadian Ragweed.

I've still got merlfest

Edit: Oh and my main point they take the crappy artist we don't like offer the artist we do like a ungodly amount of cash and try to please the rest of us with the song we like

As I said, even Hootie couldn't ruin that good of a song.

I am at work, can somebody post up OCMS for for this good man??????

What I really don't like about Hootie's version is that his voice sounds highly processed or run through a vocalizer/voice processor, to get the pitch right.

Other than that it's not so bad.

MC

I certainly do not begrudge Darious his success. It is a watered-down version, however, meant to appeal to the masses that are disturbed by a little twang and some fiddle. As such, it is far inferior to Old Crow's version. sometimes, life isn't fair, although Old Crow has certainly enjoyed some success with the song.

As someone who grew up not far from the Cumberland Gap, and not so directional challenged as Dylan, I can tell you it is impossible for a trucker to head west from the CG and hit Johnson City, TN. LOL.

I certainly do not begrudge Darious his success. It is a watered-down version, however, meant to appeal to the masses that are disturbed by a little twang and some fiddle. As such, it is far inferior to Old Crow's version. sometimes, life isn't fair, although Old Crow has certainly enjoyed some success with the song.

As someone who grew up not far from the Cumberland Gap, and not so directional challenged as Dylan, I can tell you it is impossible for a trucker to head west from the CG and hit Johnson City, TN. LOL.

Lol, awesome perspective my new friend.

Back