Micro soda producer in Italy. Some troubles mixing syroup and carbonated water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComunitàFrizzante

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been following this forum for quite a while and finding it extremely interesting and full of expertise, impossible to find here in Italy where NOBODY is making artisanal soda at home or even in small companies.
I present myself. I'm part of a group that is working on producing local sodas as a way of building community in the valley where we live. Here more info about us: https://www.comunitafrizzante.it/what-we-do/

I want to show you how we are producing the bottled soda and explaining the difficulties we are facing.
We are hosted by a lab, in which we can work following all the health and safety rules.
We prepare a syroup, using fruits or herbs +sugar +citric acid.
We have built this machine (see picture), that basically is a premix cooler with a Lancer carbonator on top.
Our idea was to have a machine that carbonate water, chill it and mix it with the syroup and then attach the out tube to the counterpressure bottling machine that you can see in the picture (we found it for less than 300$!!).
IMG_20191112_095445279.jpg

Here is the problem:
As you see the picture below the carbonated water (coming from the carbonator) and the syroup (in a keg, using CO2 to "push it out") are mixed in the pipe, using a Y connector. Outside of the box there are some screw valves
The problem is that even if we can regulate the amout of syroup and water going in, after a while the ratio is changing, resulting in an unbalanced soda. The provisional solution now is that we mix the syroup and the carb water in a keg and then we bottle attaching directly the keg to the bottling machine. Our production is really small, we don't make more than 200 liters (52g allons) a day (MAX!!) so with this system using the kegs we can survive.. However I really would like to find a way to make the more "automatic" system works.
Any idea?
I hope that my english is good enough and of course make me any question!
Cheers!

soda mix.jpg

My thought would be that the syrup and carbonated water will have different pressure when they meet at the 'y'. The liquid with the higher pressure will eventually overtake the lower pressure liquid. Resulting in an unbalanced mix. I would think you need to measure their pressure as they enter the 'y' and adjust accordingly so they are equal.

Thanks for your answer. ABout the pressure of the two liquids, I've tried everything, I've tried to put them at the same pressure and I've tried to put the syroup at a higher pressure than the water but nothing, the ratio still changes after a while

Back