Michigan Hop Alliance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
At the homebrew club Christmas party I got a selection of hops from Michigan hop alliance. I planned to use some cashmere in my brew this morning. When I opened the pack I got an awful smell that reminded me of vomit. I brewed my batch with different hops and went through the rest of the hop samples and found that smell in most of the other hops. The ones without that bad smell had no smell at all. Since these were a freeby I can't complain, but if these were meant to intice me to buy from them they failed miserably.

Update:
Michigan Hop Alliance made good on this rare and unusual bad experience with some of their hop products that were apparently mishandled and repackaged by a 3rd party.

See post #11 and #12 how this was so gracefully corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer!! They are in my neighborhood and I have bought Lbs from them without trouble. I have been in their packaging area and freezer and everything looked "kosher" to me.

It's a small operation and I am sure they would love to hear from you.

I am undecided about MHA. I have ordered from the twice and everything was "fine" but the hops did not bowl me over either. I went back to Hops Direct as they have always had very high quality IME. The selection is good at MHA though.

Bummer!! They are in my neighborhood and I have bought Lbs from them without trouble. I have been in their packaging area and freezer and everything looked "kosher" to me.

It's a small operation and I am sure they would love to hear from you.
I don't feel like I can really complain all that much as they were free. If I had paid for the hops I would've contacted them first before posting.

Yeah, bummer. I have also bought from them (UK First Gold, hard to find) and had good luck. Got a pound and have used it and liked it a lot.
Did you feel like their description of “sweet tangerine and orange aroma with a trace of cinnamon” was accurate. Ive found First Gold to either be awesome (as described) or sort of generic and lacking.

Have bought from them multiple times. No issues.

Dang. I got some Tett from them last year, and it was great. Definitely contact them, although, if you don't know how old they are or how they were stored, that might be the issue.

Did you feel like their description of “sweet tangerine and orange aroma with a trace of cinnamon” was accurate. Ive found First Gold to either be awesome (as described) or sort of generic and lacking.

Have bought from them multiple times. No issues.

They smelled good out of the bag, had some aroma I liked. I cheated with a little orange peel though so it's hard to say on the rest. Not sure about cinnamon but I wasn't looking for it, hadn't heard that as a descriptor. I chose them mostly for what I'd read about them on the forum here. I've got more, and will use them again someday, but it'll be a while.

It turns out that Michigan hop allience doesn't deal in less than one pound and they don't give away samples. So the ones I got were repackaged by someone who did not properly store them. I should've been suspicious by the non standard amounts in the packs: 1.4 ozs, 2.65 ozs, etc.

Michigan hop allience went above and beyond what could be expected. Even though I wasn't an actual customer and they wasn't responsible for the repackaged samples I received they sent me some cashmere hops free of charge. They smelled heavenly.
IMG_20240327_134634.jpg

The original post (OP) has been updated with current information on how this issue has been so gracefully resolved by the company.

All off-topic posts have been deleted.

Back