whats wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
Everything was normal through the hole process and i just opened my first bottle from a batch yesterday. It smelled normal and the initial taste was normal but it finished with a liquor taste and the "burn" of liquor. Im hoping it could be nust the one bottle but im thinking all my bottles in conditioning may have gotten to warm like above room temp.

littled630 said:
Everything was normal through the hole process and i just opened my first bottle from a batch yesterday. It smelled normal and the initial taste was normal but it finished with a liquor taste and the "burn" of liquor. Im hoping it could be nust the one bottle but im thinking all my bottles in conditioning may have gotten to warm like above room temp.

What was the OG? Sounds like they just need more time to mellow out.

littled630 said:

Probably a combination of drinking it way too early and possible high fermentation temps. We need more info to be certain though.

Hot alcohol flavor is most likely usels caused by fermenting too hot. What was your ferment temp?

The only effect that you'll get from bottle conditioning temps is that if they get too cold, the beer won't carb. The flavor profile is already locked in by the time that you bottle; you can't hurt it by letting it get too warm.

Hot alcohol taste can be a simple sign of green beer... but yeah, probably has to do with the temp getting too high during fermentation. More than likely, this beer will need some age to calm that down.

Ferm in pirmary 1 week secondary 2 weeks at around 69°/70° in the room just like all my other batches then 3 week at that temp in bottles except the one day that it got really warm in the house but all my batches were bottled by that day for at least 2 weeks. I hope maybe it was just that one bottle cause just like liquor i woke up this morning with a massive migraine like i would if i drank liquor the day before

Green beer, as in unconditioned beer that isn't yet ready for drinking. It's not uncommon for beer to still need some age before it gets really good.

Incidentally... one bottle, even if it has fusels, probably wouldn't give you a headache. I'm going to guess that you just had a headache.

That being said...69-70 degrees in the room is too warm for best results. Your beer is a good 5-10 degrees warmer than the air temp while active fermentation is going on. You could be looking at 74-80 degrees, which will definitely lead to off flavors - and potentially, some fusel alcohols.

You really want to keep most ales no warmer than the mid sixties, if possible.

Well keeping ferm in the sixties is pretty much impossible. I cant get my house to the fifties nor could i live in it at those temps. Plus my first 5 batches have been fine. And the migraine comes from alcohol period just that liquor in any amount makes me really sick and lots of beers do as well some beers are fine though like spotted cow is fine but bud light will give me a migraine in any amount lol

littled630 said:
Ferm in pirmary 1 week secondary 2 weeks at around 69°/70° in the room just like all my other batches then 3 week at that temp in bottles except the one day that it got really warm in the house but all my batches were bottled by that day for at least 2 weeks. I hope maybe it was just that one bottle cause just like liquor i woke up this morning with a massive migraine like i would if i drank liquor the day before

Your splitting headache is a sign of fusel alcohols from too high a fermentation temperature. They'll mellow with some conditioning time.

Search swamp cooler to get your temps into the mid to low 60s and you won't deal with them anymore;)

So has anyone ever use an airation system for aquariums to provide a very controlled and consistant temp. Airation in water creates more evaporation. Plus an air pump with a riostat would be great cause if you need it warmer turn down the pump if you need it cooler turn the pump up. I think that would be way easier then ice packs and all that cause my fiah aquarium stays about 65° i think without the heater and thats with one 1" round air stone airating 20 gals of water!

littled630 said:
So has anyone ever use an airation system for aquariums to provide a very controlled and consistant temp. Airation in water creates more evaporation. Plus an air pump with a riostat would be great cause if you need it warmer turn down the pump if you need it cooler turn the pump up. I think that would be way easier then ice packs and all that cause my fiah aquarium stays about 65° i think without the heater and thats with one 1" round air stone airating 20 gals of water!

If it controls the tenon in your aquarium there's no reason it wouldn't in a water bath that I can think of. I know some people in cold areas use aquarium heaters in a water bath successfully

Yeah i would think it would work and be easier to control temp with a pump that has a riostat for controlling the air output

Of course you can keep the temps in the 60s.

Fill a couple of two liters bottle with water and freeze them.

Get a rubbermaid tub for $10 from walmart. Place your fermenter in it. Fill it most of the way with water.

Stick a bottle or two of ice in the water. Swap them out to keep the temps down. Voila.

Back