Mixed Berry Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User

Reaction score
36 oz raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry (Season's Choice)
24 oz raspberry (Season's Choice)
2 5in cinnamon sticks
1 quart honey (Pure 'N Simple)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tab
5 pts water

3/4 tsp nutrient
~1/2 tsp energizer (ran out)
1 pk Red Star Pasteur Champagne

I am pleasantly surprised at how good this is turning out to be despite using cheap ingredients. I previously made a wine with essentially the same recipe, but the mead version is better. Primary was done in 2 gallon plastic bucket, and secondary was done in 4 liter glass jug. Sanitation by Starsan solution in spray bottle. My brew notes are below.

2013-03-18
mixed honey and water (SG 1.136 pre berries)
Added berries (still frozen) and cinnamon (crushed) in nylon bag, campden and pectic enzyme.

2013-03-19
Squeeze bag (some berries came out - grr)
SG 1.112 (decrease due to juice from berries as expected)
Added nutrients, energizer and yeast.

2013-03-20 12:00
stirred, squeezed bag
SG ~1.100 (fizz)

2013-03-21
Squeezed bag
SG ~1.03 (fizz)

2013-03-22
Squeezed bag
SG 1.012

2013-03-25
Squeezed bag and racked.
No SG taken.

2013-06-12
SG: 1.000
1-2 inches of sediment.
Racked to 3/4 gal glass jug with campden
Racked 1 pint to flip top (no campden)
Sample rest: Tart, slightly sweet.
ABV: ~15% (pick your favourite formula)
OG=1.112, FG=1.000
1000(OG-FG)/7.36 = 15.2
1000(OG-FG)/7.63 = 14.7

I have a mixed berry mead bulk aging at the moment sharing the same ingredients. I used about 3 pounds worth of total fruit. The color after 2 months is a very nice dark red. Cannot wait to taste a sample in another month when I bottle. I have high expectations for this one.

I have high expectations, too. I'm wanting to present a bottle to my wife (who liked the wine version) on our 10th anniversary. I was just so pleased with my sample, I had to share my notes. That, and I received an automated pm reminding me about sharing a recipe...

I have high expectations, too. I'm wanting to present a bottle to my wife (who liked the wine version) on our 10th anniversary. I was just so pleased with my sample, I had to share my notes. That, and I received an automated pm reminding me about sharing a recipe...

I like the way you think. You, sir, get a "like".. lol

Mine basically started as a 1 gallon test batch to see how it turns out. Here's what mine looks like after the second racking (and in poor lighting). 5 days later it clarified pretty much crystal clear on it's own:

Mixedberrymead5-20-13_zpsf8f223ed.jpg

Only things I did different was used 3.5 lbs. Great Lakes Clover honey, Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast and did not add any cinnamon sticks.

I have a feeling that when it's ready to drink, I won't want to share any of it...

Yeah, I only want to share with one person. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow, but looks pretty much like yours.

First: Overview for next two backlit pictures.
Second: Backlit label front
Third: Backlit label back
Forth: Front lit next to other brews for opacity comparison.

100_1795.jpg

100_1797.jpg

100_1798.jpg

100_1799.jpg

Looks tasty, i'll have to brew up a batch of this next time I get another Carboy Free and some Honey =)

It is quite tasty. This is my wife's and my favorite drink so far. She even asked me to start a batch to give as gifts.

Good to hear it came out well. My batch is still bulk aging in my closet. Pretty much trying to forget about it until I NEED that glass carboy for something else. Then i'll bottle. Mine's at the 5 month mark as of now :)

Maybe some day I'll learn patience.
Truthfully, we've only had racking leftovers. Our anniversary will mark the sixth month of aging. This might be the first time I've ever wanted to cheat on my wife.
;}

This is not to be opened until the comming equinox. Waiting is.

P1070646.jpg

P1070651.jpg

Back