Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt

Reaction score
OK i am in emergency panic mode right now. I made a 5 gallon batch of a dry stout but the problem is the gallon water jugs i used ended up only being 3 liters not the full gallon. The beer is already in secondary fermentation and is just about ready to bottle before i realized I am over a full gallon of water short. Is it too late to add the extra gallon or can i still add it and be safe?

taste the beer and if you like it dont add anything, just bottle. if you have numbers for OG, FG and expected FG and OG than we can deliberate some more on adding water after fermentation is done but right now we dont know if you even need to do that.

I completely forgot to take an OG but the FG is 1.014 and the taste is nice and strong, mostly what im looking for in a stout. I was mostly worried that I screwed everything up.

Think about it like being a concentrated stout! there are much worse ways to screw up.

I honestly don't know, but I, personally, would never add water to anything once fermentation has set in.

Did you just say that you liked the way it tasted? Kinda just answered your own question. Just bottle it.

What about mixing it with another beer in secondary? Is that where you would mix them?

If you wanted to combine beers, you could move both finished beers to a bottling bucket just before bottling. The other option is a secondary. In any case you will want to rack them via siphoning to prevent splashing.

Back