Type of copper/length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyBob

Reaction score
Looking for advise on a wort chiller build. I am researching coiled copper and see there is a few types and they are rated different plus a huge price difference. Also length? I have a 5 gallon brew kettle and want to utilize as much volume I can for hop flavor. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

I use 1/4" tubing. Mine is 25ft, which does a good job for 5-gallon batches. I'd get longer tubing if you can, but 25 ft. works well for me. 1/4" is cheap an easy to bend.

Edit; Mine was 3/8 Also, not 1/4.

I used 3/8 inch OD "refrigeration" style soft copper tubing. Worked well for an immersion chiller, and worked perfectly when I decided that wasn't cutting it and built a counter flow chiller. 25 feet was around 25 bucks and it works well because my 3/8 inch ID beer tubing slides on and off without leaking.

So I bought 20 feet of copper 3/8. Couldn't get 25 so I would have had a 20 ft and add the 5 feet to it. Didn't like the idea of using a brass fitting to connect. Brought boiling water from 210 to 80 in about 30 mins. Couldn't get it below because my tap water is about 80 on coldest setting. Living in florida doesn't make it easy so I will probably make a small bath to help speed it up and work faster. I have also thought about a cooler with ice and a pond pump attached. Might try it later in. Here's my little build.

image-204694990.jpg

image-793845890.jpg

I use a small pond pump submerged in ice water connected to immersion chiller. Works great. If you're brewing in a 10 gallon pot or smaller, you can put your ice water in a round plastic 20? gallon tub and submerge the pot in the ice bath while running the pump powered chiller. That really gets the temp down in a hurry.

Back