Yeast Starter? Dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBaxter

Reaction score
I am brewing a one-gallon, all-grain batch of a Russian Imperial Stout recipe I created with an expected OG of around 1.10. What's my best option for fermentation? Most beers I've brewed so far I've simply pitched half a packet of dry yeast and called it a day. Help, brew-brethren!

1/2 pack of dry won't cut it for a big beer. check out a yeast calculator for how much yeast to use for a beer that size, 2 packs at least for dry.

Since you're only doing a 1-gallon batch, even at 1.100 Mr. Malty says that one-half of an 11g packet is enough.

Do you rehydrate your dry yeast before pitching? If not, I'd pitch the whole pack into that 1-gallon Imp. Stout batch since sprinkling dry into wort (especially higher gravity wort) will kill over half of the cells before they can rebuild their cell walls.

Interesting! So, combining some advice on here, I think I'll use one full packet. I've never made a yeast starter/rehydrated the yeast. Could anyone help me with a quick tutorial? Thanks in advance for all the help!

If I use dry yeast, I rehydrate using these steps (for an 11g pack):

1) When you are about to start your boil, put 1 cup water (not distilled) in a Pyrex cup in the microwave. Boil it down to about 1/2 cup.

2) Cover the cup with a piece of sanitized foil (sprayed with Star-San). Set it aside to cool to about 90-100*F.

3) Once the water has cooled, sanitize the yeast packet and cut open with sanitized scissors.

4) Sprinkle it on the water, cover and let sit 15 minutes.

5) Stir well, cover, and let sit 5 more minutes.

6) Hopefully by now, you have your wort chilled (about 62-65*F for a typical ale) and ready for the yeast.

7) The yeast slurry needs to be "attemperated" before you pitch it in the wort. That means you have to add small amounts of the cooler wort into the yeast slurry, stir and let it sit a few minutes. You'll probably have to do this a few times to get it to within 10*F of the wort temperature. Once it's within 10*F, pitch away.

Back