Infected!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheRedIrl

Reaction score
I know it's a popular question among us newbies but I'm kinda worried about my pilsner being infected. Would you guys check out the photo's and let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

image-2800124268.jpg

image-573163249.jpg

How does it smell? That white substance - is it a thin layer that cracks up easily? Also, is that in primary or secondary?

Hey Meridianomrebel,

It's a thin liquid layer that sticks to in this case the thermometer so it doesn't really break up. It smells fine. It's 2 weeks in primary.

I've had that a few times and it is not a good thing. I found that with a hoppy beer I get away with it but other styles are less forgiving. I'd bottle/keg asap and see how it tastes.

I'm cheap so i just clean and sanitize but if it crops up again in the same fermenter its niot worth the risk off keeping it.

Try to skim it off before bottling. It can be done - you don't want that stuff getting sloshed around as you rack to your bottling bucket. And thoroughly sanitize everything that touched that beer, not just the fermenter, before you brew again. For the fermenter, fill it with water and add 1/4 cup of bleach, and let it sit overnight.

Latest posts

Back