WLP 550 drink the yeast or leave it on the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benedetto

Reaction score
i made a belgian white ale. it'll be ready to drink on tuesday.

My question is, because I used belgian yeast, should I rouse the yeast up into the beer before I pour it out as is typical of other wheat beers? or keep it on the bottom of the bottle? all of those 750ml fancy belgian ales i get say to keep the yeast on the bottom and avoid doing what i just described. I used WLP550.

Generally, it's your call. My suggestion on a Belgian is to leave the sediment undisturbed and do not rouse it.

Sorry to ninja ur thread, hopefully we can both get answers.

What about drinking wlp300 in a hefe? Never thought of swishing it back in until I saw this thread, but it makes sense.

i think with hefes, its good to rouse it up because the yeast is the source of much of the hefe's flavor.

the belgian yeast, however, i'm not sure. i just see the commercial brewers like ommegang tell you to leave it undisturbed. but i doubt those guys use WLP550 like we homebrewers do.

Back