Should I be worried? Long ferment time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auswin

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm brewing my first high-grav beer, and perhaps this is just a by-product of the style -- but I wanted to get some reassurance that something strange isn't happening.

Monday will mark three weeks of fermentation, and while visible signs have slowed -- it's definitely still going. Airlock is 'bubbling' roughly once every 30 seconds, and while the krausen dropped it's sill active.

Took a specific gravity reading this morning, and it game out at 13.72% ABV. I tasted a little of the solution, and it tastes good -- albeit a little boozy.

I took the opportunity to dry hop it while I was testing the gravity, but I'm wondering how much longer I'll need to wait until bottling. Should I test the gravity again in a week?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bubbling at this late in the game is probably due to changes in pressure and temp and not fermentation.

What is the gravity at now and I don't mean the %alcohol reading but the actual gravity. What was the OG?

It's probably done so when you finish dry hopping, package it!

Measure the FG again in two days, if it's the same, you are good to go. I agree with duboman though, this time of year there are a lot of atmospheric changes going on. The bubbling could be many things.

Big beers can take longer to ferment. I wouldn't have dry hopped till it was at a stable FG. And def use the gravity scale next tiem,not the ABV scale on the other side...:mug:

I did a huge Belgian, it took 4 weeks to ferment. It also tasted like crap until it was 3+ months old. Patience is very hard with big beers. One of the guys in my brew club won a Gold with a RIS, one of the better brews I've ever had. So it is worth it.

Thanks for the input everyone. Here are the gravity readings, in case those help:

OG (wort at 72 degrees): 1.149
SG (solution at 65 degrees): 1.048

Back