Recipe suggestions...I have the hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic

Reaction score
I am looking for help creating a recipe around some hops that i have on order. I have 4oz Willamette Pellet Hops & 1oz Cascade Pellet Hops on the way.

Trying to put together a non-kit batch together. I posted this question another forum (BA) and the suggestion of this was given:

10lbs Maris Otter
.5lb Crystal 60 --- I would change this to 1.0lb of Crystal 120L

1 oz Willamette at 60
1 oz Willamette at 20
1 oz Willamette at 10
1 oz each willamette and cascade at flameout

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I think the original recipe sounds great. 1 lb of crystal 120 is too much for my tastes.

Edited to add why the dark crystal might be too much:
Some of the dark crystals can add a dark fruit kind of flavor - like prunes or raisins. You have all those nice hops, I imagine you want to showcase them. Maris Otter has a nice malt backbone. Crystal 60 give a bit of nutty, malty flavor. 5% crystal is about as high as I'd personally go. Another option would be to simply use the MO and no crystal. I do that sometimes and really enjoy it. Folks are sometimes surprised how much malt character you get from it.

Depends on what you want out of the beer.

The original looks like a nice pale ale. A full lb of extra dark crystal like that called for in the revision will be very strong, maybe make this into an amber type beer. Maybe it'll be good. Add a touch of lighter crystal and just a couple oz of chocolate malt, in addition to the 120, and you'll have something not unlike Arrogant Bastard's little brother. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Latest posts

Back